Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #1 
eemmais

Best way to divide betta tanks?

Hi, right now I have one make betta in his own ten gallon. I want to divide it and get one or two more bettas. Should I use the dividers made for aquariums? Or is there any way to make my own using aquarium safe materials that the bettas wouldn't be able to see through? What about buying some aquarium dividers and then making it into a moss wall? Thanks.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Google "DIY aquarium dividers"
There is a really cheap simple way to make them out of craft mesh and report binders. Many people from this site make them and have had good results.
I personally use the store bought on one tank, DIY On another. I prefer the store bought because they aren't as flimsy, but the price is outrageous.

Aquarium silicone would be a good idea to keep them in place if you decide to go the DIY route! Next time I re-do the tank with the DIY that is what I'll e doing
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #3 
mld02004

I made the DIY ones from craft mesh and they work well. There are different types of craft mesh, some are more rigid than others. The more rigid ones are less flimsy. They have different types of craft mesh at Jo Ann fabrics.

I did not silicone mine in place. You can also use pieces of acrylic cut to size, but you need to drill holes for airflow.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #4 
Surferjo

I have seen the craft mesh and they clearly work well. My only problem with them is that they are not rigid and some, IMHO, look a little sloppy.

I use cheap plastic cutting boards from Wal-Mart. They work great. I use just a dab of aquarium safe silicone on the top sides and let the gravel hold it on the bottom and they work great.

Also because the silicone doesn't adhere to the plastic, but it sticks to the glass you eventually have a silicone track. now I can slide out my dividers whenever I need to.

Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #5 
acadialover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
I have seen the craft mesh and they clearly work well. My only problem with them is that they are not rigid and some, IMHO, look a little sloppy.

I use cheap plastic cutting boards from Wal-Mart. They work great. I use just a dab of aquarium safe silicone on the top sides and let the gravel hold it on the bottom and they work great.

Also because the silicone doesn't adhere to the plastic, but it sticks to the glass you eventually have a silicone track. now I can slide out my dividers whenever I need to.

wow ! gorgeous tank. HOw long for the glue to set and hold ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #6 
TeteRouge

@ surferjo- great looking tank! I like how you took the blue and worked it. It's 20 long? BTW, here is my 10g divided. I used the DIY plastic mesh/ binder method...

TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #7 
eemmais

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeteRouge View Post
@ surferjo- great looking tank! I like how you took the blue and worked it. It's 20 long? BTW, here is my 10g divided. I used the DIY plastic mesh/ binder method...

Did you use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Darice-Plastic...tic+mesh+sheet ?
Everyone's tanks look awesome
Old 03-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #8 
TeteRouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemmais View Post
Did you use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Darice-Plastic...tic+mesh+sheet ?
Everyone's tanks look awesome
Thanks ;) Yes, I think so. This is it- http://www.joann.com/plastic-canvas-...prd_01419555a/. In the store, you can buy them individually- 59 cents each.
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #9 
eemmais

Great, thanks! I can't wait to get more bettas :D
Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #10 
copperarabian

I bought plastic mesh from Micheal's and replaced the dissolving mesh that came with the dividers I bought. Best decision ever :)

I divided my 10g into three sections and keep the 20g internal filter in the middle

This is the mesh I buy. I had to cut it to size but it was easy.
(not my photo)

It comes in lots of colors too
(not my photo)

Last edited by copperarabian; 03-03-2013 at 02:24 AM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote