Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #11 
EllaEcstasy7

:) thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I will be sure to post pics on this thread as well as in my pics.
EllaEcstasy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #12 
EllaEcstasy7

I've tried all 5 together but there is one that I chose to call fiery because she is so mean, puffing her gills up and flaring her fins at this one little one that I call Baby Blue. She chases her around so I took her out and put her in the cup she came in with some tank water and waited about 30mins, got a few more taller plants to put in and tried again, she did the same thing. So now I have her in a smaller tank by herself. So far they are doing fine with just 4 and a school of tetra (5). No biting so far which is good :) Pitcures soon to come

Last edited by EllaEcstasy7; 03-01-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #13 
EllaEcstasy7

My Sorority Tank

Everything is going great so far.. I'm hoping I can put the other female back with the rest of them but so far no luck. Only question i have is how long does it usually take for them to establish rank within the tank??
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #14 
EllaEcstasy7

Before bed last night I realized that my two blue females were being chased around a little more than I would have like so I had to take them out of the tank as well. I guess I didn't totally fail in my attempt to make a sorority tank. Two of my females Are still together and barely notice each other.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #15 
jibruno

you should add more mid-ground plants or decor. i had a 30 gal betta sorority with 9 females, at first they fought and i did the same that you did and took some out. you should not leave just two together though, eventually one of them will take control and pick on the other and that makes a lot of stress on that female.

i advise you to get more tall bushy plants that ill fill ip the tank more, maybe even try floating plants with long roots. Then add the females back and watch them. it took my females about a week before they had a rank structure, and they still would fight every once in a while but in a more playful way.

good luck !!
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #16 
Bombalurina

I'm kind of surprised people encouraged a sorority here - a sorority + tetras in a 10 gal is definitely overstocked. It can support the sorority or the tetras, not both. I strongly recommend upgrading, or planting heavily with live plants. Either way, you definitely need more tall and mid-ground plants to help divide territory and prevent aggression.

Your girls are very pretty! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #17 
EllaEcstasy7

I was told 1 fish per gallon and all together that would make 10 fish in this tank. Either way, Thanks :) I plan on getting some more plants tomorrow morning and trying the whole sorority thing again.

Thought you all might like to see this. I thought it was cute... Fiery is "sleeping" (I don't think fish sleep) on the leaves.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

Yeah...you'll hear 1 fish per gallon, or one inch of fish per gallon, at lot, almost entirely from people who don't know what they are talking about, usually in petshops. Here's an extreme example of why it wouldn't work - imagine ten angelfish in a ten gallon, or a ten-inch oscar. Conversely, one little tetra would be very sad in a one gallon. That rule doesn't take into account a whole bunch of things, including territorialness/aggressiveness, bioload and schooling needs.

Fiery is very cute! Does she have a heater in her little bowl? :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #19 
EllaEcstasy7

I understand. And yes, she does :) I moved it to take the picture. She is the most aggressive of them all, hence the name I gave her.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #20 
EllaEcstasy7

I finally got more plants and my girls are all together :)

Tags
betta 10gallon, sorority, sorority female community