Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You planning on keeping those rasboros?

The way you're set-up now, the water in your cycling tank is probably as good or better than in your 2.5g.

If I were doing it, I'd get a few live plants, floaters like water sprite or hornwort to eat ammonia. Get a couple of good hides. If the Rasboros are going to be tankmates (?) then introduce your Betta,

Check parameters daily and change out any ammonia or nitrite over 0.25ppm. It'll take a while, but it will cycle eventually; it won't be any more trouble than what you're doing now---probably less---and arguably better for your fish.

If you're experiencing noticeable evaporation, your tank is open. Betta like warm moist air on their labyrinth organ. Even a simple cling-film cover is nice for them.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-03-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #12 
Juditko

Yes on keeping the rasboras. I know a long acclimation will be needed when moving the betta...did almost two weeks of research on here before deciding on them. Of course I know it's a bit of a crap shoot, but they are at least established first as is recommended here. The tank has some good hiding spots.

The water in the 2.5 is being changed 100 percent every other day. It is also treated with prime like the big tank. So my water quality worries there are minimal.

I have kept a daily log since I started the new tank and ammonia has never been over .25. (The highest I've seen it is from the pic yesterday.). I started with tetra safe start. Though I know some reviews go back and forth, I decided to try it. The tank at this point is 16 days old.

Regarding the pics, I wondered if the reg tap water (second pic) really shows 0 on ammonia. Or is that considered .25? I was thinking the first pic (where the tank is as of yesterday after the water change) shows .5 which would the highest it's been.

I like the floating plants idea. Would they require any plant food?
Posted via Mobile Device
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #13 
Juditko

Oh and the tank is closed with a tight lid. I have however pulled a good deal of water out of it doing the water tests for approx 14 days ( I was out of town and missed a couple.)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you don't have a fish IN the cycling tank you don't need such frequent water changes. I may be missing something here? Usually when doing a fish LESS cycle you keep the ammo at 4 all the way through the nitrIte phase. Have you seen nitrItes? You do water change if your Ph drops to 6.5 or less or you see extremely high levels of ammonia, nitrItes or nitrAtes. You want ammonia to feed the BB. Sorry, I don't see in this thread where you have any inhabitants in the tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #15 
Juditko

There are five rasboras in the tank.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #16 
Juditko

The 100 percent water changes apply to the holding tank for the betta, not the ten gallon cycling tank of the rasboras.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh, makes perfect sense then
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #18 
Juditko

So, to recap: ten gallon started with tetra safestart (followed on bottle and online directions) is now 16 days old. Inhabitants five rasboras at 80 degrees. Betta on hold in another tank.

Regular tap water with Prime:

Water test yesterday 3/2/13 AFTER 30 percent water change:

Water test today 3/3/13:

So I'm thinking a 20 percent water change today to lower ammonia?
Can't get my hands on the floating plants Hallyx suggested yet...don't know if I can get them at local Petsmart. Tank does have two
marimo moss balls.

Thoughts? Is that a big enough water change or should I do a fifty?
I'm thinking today's water test says ammonia .5 Nitrites .25 and nitrates 10?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #19 
Juditko

Okay so I think I answered my own question. After reading
more on water testing I went back over the testing directions with a fine tooth comb. Here's the REAL results today after following directions EXACTLY:

I'll be doing the 50 percent change.

Darn it. I'm such a noob. I can read and read and basically camp out here and I STILL can't get it all put together yet. It's amazing 1. That my fish have survived and 2 that you all have put up with me. Sigh.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #20 
shellieca
Reference Team

LOL. We've all been newbies! It looks like you're seeing some nitrites so that's a good thing. Its moving along. I'm fish in cycling a 10g right now with 1 male Betta & I've had nitrites for a week now been doing 50%+ water changes daily so I feel your pain.