Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #1 
tpopcaz

quick help

Ok so my second attempt to breed my bettas I left her in there for 2 days with him. This morning when I went check she was under the nest laying there almost lifeless. After a minute or two I she swam a little from the nest and I took her out. I saw what looked like an egg fall from the nest. Did I take her out to soon?
tpopcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

It isn't about taking HER out too soon. If there are eggs in the nest and the dad is working, then you did not take her out too soon. It actually sounds like you took her out too late. Is she okay? Put her in a QT with warm water and let her heal. How's dad doing?

For your future endeavors, the general rule is that if they're not flirting and ready within 20 minutes, take them out and try again later. Have you read the stickies on here? They're SUPER helpful.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #3 
tpopcaz

Yea she seems fine. I have her in her own tank and shes swimming and eating like normal. I haven't seen any other eggs fall but this is my first time breeding. I noticed some spots in the bubbles so I'm guessing thats the eggs. The male was actually going to where those spots were and eating some of them so I took him out after about 25 minutes. So from what I read if the eggs are fertile it will take 3 days for the swimmers? If this is right what should I feed them? I've read a bunch of different things from diluted egg to pellets crushed almost to a powder. Then after two weeks do I add a little water each day until the tank is full and add a sponge filter after? I believe I saw that on a video.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

You DO NOT want to take out the male. It might be already too late to put him back in. The males will care for the eggs.
He probably wasn't eating them, but making sure they were alright. Males will hold eggs in their mouths for a while and then put them back in the nest.
The males also clean the eggs for fungus- to keep the eggs healthy.
You may not get any wigglers from this spawn, as you may have already botched it.
I suggest doing more research next time before you decide to breed. Make sure you know everything there is before you attempt it next time. :)
Breeding is a big responsibility that not many people can handle.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

I'm assuming you have a fairly large grow-out tank. I would feed infusoria for first days/week(s) but some people feed micro-worms and continue up the worm chain by size.

Yea, you fill up the but most people use a drip technique. I would test the filter in another tank first to make sure it works before disrupting the fry with it, though.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #6 
tpopcaz

Yes I understand there is just so much info out there that go against each other. Some say leave the male in there and don't feed him, other videos I have watched say that feed him and take him out within 30 minutes after they spawn. I'm trying to get the right info so if they fails I can do it right next time.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
You DO NOT want to take out the male. It might be already too late to put him back in. The males will care for the eggs.
He probably wasn't eating them, but making sure they were alright. Males will hold eggs in their mouths for a while and then put them back in the nest.
The males also clean the eggs for fungus- to keep the eggs healthy.
You may not get any wigglers from this spawn, as you may have already botched it.
I suggest doing more research next time before you decide to breed. Make sure you know everything there is before you attempt it next time. :)
Breeding is a big responsibility that not many people can handle.
+1
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpopcaz View Post
Yes I understand there is just so much info out there that go against each other. Some say leave the male in there and don't feed him, other videos I have watched say that feed him and take him out within 30 minutes after they spawn. I'm trying to get the right info so if they fails I can do it right next time.
As a transshipper who has been working with bettas for 30 or so years told me, when looking at all of the information, just use common sense. Is a male who is not fed more likely to eat his eggs than a male who is being fed? Uh, duh. Lol. Most males will care for their fry. There are some who will eat, though. If they eat, then try again and then take him out when done. Otherwise, assume he is a good father until proven otherwise. Watch for him to place them back. He'll be rather busy.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 
tpopcaz

Ok thanks for the info. I have been feeding him everyday I just took him out when I thought I saw him eat some of the eggs from the nest and swim away. Beginners mistake.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #10 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpopcaz View Post
I realize that there are many different methods to breeding, but for a hobbyist, you want to keep the male in the tank. It's much more effective that way. And yes, you should feed him- or he might start to snack on the eggs (even if they are fertile. But once you take him out of the tank, he's most likely not going to care for the eggs anymore- he might just start to eat them.
You take the female out after spawning, not the male. Sometimes they will help with the eggs, but that's few and far between. The reason for taking her out is because the male will protect the nest at any cost- usually killing other fish in the tank.

As for the fry...if you get any, feed them with cooked egg yolk. Most breeders have a jar of infusoria going- or even live plants in the tank that have little critters for the fry to munch on. They usually won't take to powered foods. Once they hit 2 weeks, they will be big enough to eat BBS (baby brine shrimp) and you can give them that.
I don't recommend using a filter. I changed the water by hand. They have to be big water changes, however, because fry put off lots of growth hormone. Removing this from the water will stunt their growth (trust me I know- it's happened to me).
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote