Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #1 
Lizzybear278

Heater for my Betta

I just got a new betta and i have him adjusting to his new tank right now, but im curious how i could heat it as the thermometer i have attached to the tank is not getting a reading. the tank itself has been running for over 24 hours, but is there a safe heater (available in Canada) that i could buy for such a small tank? it is a 1.5 gallon acrylic cube tank.
Lizzybear278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybear278 View Post
I just got a new betta and i have him adjusting to his new tank right now, but im curious how i could heat it as the thermometer i have attached to the tank is not getting a reading. the tank itself has been running for over 24 hours, but is there a safe heater (available in Canada) that i could buy for such a small tank? it is a 1.5 gallon acrylic cube tank.
not sure what heater you have. did you mean your thermometer for taking the tank temperature is not working? try taking it out and dip it in hot water to see if the mercury/red liquid will react to the temp changes. if not, maybe there is an air pocket inside the thermometer. if this is a sticker thermo sensitive thermometer, do the same.

If you meant that the thermostat of the heater (the unit that turns the heater on/off based on a preset temp limit) is not working, try dipping it in cold water for 15 mins. then plug it in or turn it on and see if it start heating the water, usually, they have a LED to indicate that it is on.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 
kyle89

I think he means the water is so cold the thermometer is not reading it so he wants to know what kind of heater for his small tank
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
I think he means the water is so cold the thermometer is not reading it so he wants to know what kind of heater for his small tank
ah, i see, so it must be in the low 60s or 50s since most thermometers' lowest reading are around that range. the betta would be inactive, lethargic... otherwise the thermometer is defective.

heater: Preset ones are not very consistent in maintaining a 1F +/- range but adjustable & submersible ones will turn on or off within 1F difference.

I think Fluval and Aqueon has some mini pre-set ones, get one with the maximum wattage as a preset, i think the biggest one is a 50W Preset by Fluval since your tank is small.

this is a 10W Aqueon (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/mini-heater.htm)

this is a 25W Fluval (http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heati...s?brand=Fluval)

50W (http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A771)

Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #5 
mld02004

I have a marina mini heater from petsmart, and also the Hydor bowl type that goes under the gravel. They are not adjustable but have been working great for me in 2.5 gallon tanks.

The Hydor one is at petco for around $11.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #6 
kyle89

The hyro round one is what we have under the rocks. So far so good
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

i would get a 25 watt adjustable heater... they are more reliable and can be still used for up to 5 gals.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote