Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #1 
Mesa

Unhappy Euthanasia

I've seen others mention euthanasia before but wasn't sure exactly what they meant. I'm a dog person so euthanasia = vet visit to me. Do you take fish to the vet for this?
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #2 
Newbettamommy13

I don't know about other people, but I didn't. My goldfish, Pizza (the one in my signature) got very sick, beyond help, so we euthanized him at home, same with one other goldfish. What you do is, depending on tank size, (Or you can transfer to another container, I've done both) either way, get him (or her) into a small amount of water and put some drops in a little at a time (the total amount varies with each fish) until the fish stops breathing. He will fall asleep and die peacefully just as a dog or cat would at a vet's office. Some people say you can use a freezing method where you freeze the fish, DO NOT use the freezing method as it's inhumane. Your best bet is the clove oil which I described. Some people add alcohol after the clove oil, but this must be done carefully so I've found it best to use only clove oil. Hope this helped.
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #3 
eemmais

Usually people will euthanize their fish at home. Clove oil, freezing, and hitting the fish on the head/decapitating it seem to be the most humane. Most people will agree that clove oil is best.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Freezing is NOT humane.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #5 
Mesa

Thanks for the replys. I was curious & wanted to be prepared if/when the time comes. He's my first fish & I would hate for him to suffer because of my ignorance.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #6 
Newbettamommy13

Your fish is lucky to have someone who cares so much about him Just remember that the clove oil method is the most humane method
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote