Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #11 
charminglyxdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
How did you acclimate him to the new tank? (Process, time, etc.) The water conditions in his cup may have been quite different from the water in your tank. So the initial acclimation process (when you first bring him home) should be slow, in order to allow him time to adjust to your water.

New bettas may not eat for awhile, while they adjust to their new tanks. They can go awhile without eating, so give him a couple of days to get settled in.

Is there a reason you don't use tap water (with added conditioner)? It's cheaper than buying bottled water, and as Kuronue mentioned, tap water contains dissolved salts which are beneficial to the fish's health.

A 2 gallon tank with no filter needs one 100% and one 50% water change per week. Also, water conditioner should always be added to new water. There are a lot of different brands, all of which are good. Look for one that removes/neutralizes chlorine, chlorinamines and heavy metals.... If you need one to temporarily neutralize ammonia, look for one like Prime..... You don't need to readd water conditioner to existing water. Only add it to new water that is being introduced into the tank.
Well after the car ride home, I let him just settle down before putting him in the tank and then I dumped out some of his cup water so then I was able to put him in a small little bowl with some cup water and tank water. Them after a few hours of him in that I put him in his new home. I know when I got him his water was really dirty and had all these white particles in it.

I use gallon water cause its what I have always used for my bettas and they have lived 7 years+ (in addition to having a 14 hr move from state to state) so I always thought they were doing good with that water but this one is just a difficult one!

Thank you for the advice!
charminglyxdream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care help, dying betta, questions