Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #1 
TaylerHill

Still clamped after 4 days?

I posted this on Monday and Larry has not improved much since then. I got home from being out of town for the weekend on Monday evening. I leave every weekend and my fish are always fine. I fast them on sunday and monday since I'm not here. Two of my bettas are perfectly fine. The other, Larry, had clamped fins when I came home and seemed really stressed. Nothing has changed for Larry. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank, with silk plants and a terra cotta pot. He has a heater that keeps his tank at 80. When I came home I saw he had blown a small bubble nest which I have never seen him do. At first I thought he was fine but when I looked closer I noticed his fins were really camped and his side fins were moving faster than normal. His breathing seems normal. His color was slightly paler than usual. He is not sinking or floating to the top so its not swim bladder. When he saw me walk by or look at him he would dart around really fast which isn't like him. But when he doesn't see me he sits right under the small bubble nest or on top of his hammock. I dont have any way of testing my water at the moment but its the same water I have always used and I have not done anything different. His appetite is normal. His color is somewhat better and hes not darting as much but he is still clamped after 4 days. I have been doing a 50% water change for the last three days. I couldn't get any pictures since he was darting but I got a video and here is a link to it on youtube. It's not the best quality but it's all I could get. What could be wrong? I'm thinking of going to petco and getting a water test kit just to be safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0kpq...ature=youtu.be

This picture is of him normally.
Attached Images

TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The video didn't work for me....

How long have you had him, has he ever been sick and/or treated-if so-details

What kind of additives used, do you have a filter or live plants-Before you started the 50% daily water changes-What was the water change schedule-how much and how often

Appetite, type/amount of food

Double check your temp with an independent thermometer and you can't physically see anything on him or excessive slime coat-correct....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #3 
TaylerHill

Sorry about the video I will have to re-add it when I get home.

I have had him almost 4 months, and he has never been sick so therefore never treated.

I use Aqueon Betta Bowl Water Conditioner with every water change. I don't have a filter or live plants, just silk plants. My normal water change schedule is a 50% and a 100% weekly.

His appetite is still normal. I was feeding him HBH Betta Pellets (4 pellets once a day) and now I am feeding Omega One Betta Pellets, the same amount as before.

Since this picture was taken I have bought the submersible thermometers for all of my fish, and his still reads 80. There is no slime coat on him, everything looks normal other than still slightly pale and clamped fins.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #4 
TaylerHill

Here is a working link to the video. He is no longer darting like that but he is still clamped.

http://youtu.be/I0kpqXzHoX8
Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 
callistra

How do you do these large water changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #6 
TaylerHill

For the 100% change i net them and put them in a cup then dump the tank and clean the gravel and decor. then i fill it back up with temperature adjusted water and add the water conditioner. then i net the fish and put them back. for the 50% change i scoop out half of the water with a clean cup. then i fill a bucket with the same amount of temperature adjusted water and add the water conditioner. then i pour it back into the tank, usually over one of the decorations so it doesnt cause too much of a current.