Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 
babybluebettalover42

Question Strictly Pellet-tarian betta

So over the past few weeks that I've been reading this forum, I have noticed a pretty repetitive pattern of betta owner having a problem with getting their bettas to eat pellets and to give the treats a rest. My betta has the opposite problem I have been trying to give him tubifex worms (rehydrated in tank water) and he sticks his little betta nose up at them and spits them out. I'm confused I thought that they hated pellets (I have the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold ones that he can't get enough of), he won't eat the worms. Sorry for the backstory but I ramble a bit, anyways I want to know what are some good freeze-dried treats that you guys have had success with, I was just going to get FD brine shrimp and bloodworms and see which he likes better. And what's your opinion about the "Dial-A-Treat" product, good for just trying to see what will make Xany eat something more than pellets? I just want to spoil him (not too much, only 1-2x a week for treats), I want to have a healthy veiltail.
babybluebettalover42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #2 
sarahspins

Most fish aren't fond of freeze-dried foods of any kind.. I bet he'd go after frozen ones :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #3 
babybluebettalover42

Also, I know that freeze-dried food lose some nutritional value but I live a dorm without a fridge so I can store frozen/live foods that's why FD would be ideal its only for treats though just to give some variety.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 
babybluebettalover42

I wish I had a freezer I'm sure he'd love some frozen or live food. Maybe I could grow brine shrimp?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #5 
tekkguy

Wingless fruit flies live at room temperature. A culture of those at the LPS probably wouldn't be more than $5-$6.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 
babybluebettalover42

great idea, I will try that I'm sure Xany would love that
Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #7 
lipadj46

Tubefex worms are a very low quality food anyhow. Pellets are much more nutritious. As far as freeze dried foods being less nutritious than frozen that's not quite true. You do lose some vit. C in the freeze drying process but it concentrates the nutrition in the process (losing the water), fish can eat more of a freeze dried product so they actually get more nutrition from them.

A very good freeze dried food to try is freeze dried blackworms. They are true segmented aquatic worms and have much more nutritional value than bloodworms or tubifex. You can feed them as a sole food source if you want (many discus people do just that). There are 2 sources, Al over at simply discus sells Australian blackworms (http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-D...riginal_c6.htm) or Dan at California blackworm (http://www.blackworms-are-here.com/). Email either of them and they will send you a free sample that will last a single betta quite a long time. My bettas go nuts over them and also eat NLS 1mm pellets. I feed both daily.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #8 
Jexx

both of my bettas love the hikari bio gold pellets too! Galileo my male Vail-tail will ONLY eat that. I've tried blood worms, mysis, daphnia, he will have none of it. My girl Esmeralda will eat anything that falls in her tank :/
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloodworms, brine shrimp, freezedried, pellets, tubifex