Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #1 
slowdown

when to change the water?

5 gallon tank with filter, 1 male betta. Using the API master test kit, the ammonia is .5, nitrite 0, PH roughly 8 or 8.2. It's been 3-4 weeks and the nitrites have always been 0, ammonia is finally starting to climb.

My question is when to change the water, and how much and how often. If it hits 0.25 do I do a 50% change to bring the ammonia down? Or will that stall the cycle? Is 0.5 too high? It seems like every time I change the water, the next day the levels are back up to .50 again.

I was given the fish in a tiny bowl, so fishless cycling wasn't an option - bought the tank after I already had the fish.
slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #2 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

This is a pretty good guide for water changes. :3
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 
slowdown

Thanks. Are water changing guidelines different during the cycling process?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

During the water change, be guided by the levels. Don't let your ammonia get above 1ppm. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #5 
slowdown

Great - it helps to know what the upper limit is. How high does the ammonia usually go before the nitrites start showing up?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Actually during the cycling phase or really at any time don't let your ammonia or nitrites go above .25 if you have fish in. Ammonia & nitrites are dangerous for the fish & if I understand correctly you have fish in your tank. I always do a 50%+ water change on fish IN cycling tanks when I see ammonia/nitrites .25 or higher & once the tank is cycled I do weekly 50%+ water changes on my 5.5g, 10g tanks & 46g. Nitrites can show up at any time, usually within two weeks & can last 3 wks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

There are several good informational threads about cycling in the "Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories forum." Check the stickied threads near the top of the forum: http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #8 
slowdown

I do have one fish in (one male betta) and it's a 5 gallon tank. The tank is about a month old but the filter has only been in for 3 weeks. The ammonia was at its highest level today - just under 1ppm, up from .25 two days ago. I did a 50% change immediately and will monitor daily. Still 0 on the nitrites.

If I keep the ammonia to .25, will the tank still cycle, or does the ammonia level need to go higher to keep the cycle going?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Here you do this is the best guide you can read and follow, its all about understand the cycle and water changes during it. Please read and ask any questions that you need too. I did a fish in cycle using this guide and safely. I would get some Prime water conditioner to use as it will detox everything for up to 48 hours after that add more, its 2 drops per gallon. It sure helped give me peace of mind when I did my cycle !

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

And no you dont need to nor want your ammonia level higher, the goal is to keep it as low as you can and use Prime water conditioner to detox it for 48 hours inbetween water changes. This will not effect your cycle.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote