Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #1 
Rainbows

Location: In a house, in a town, in a state, in USA, on earth.
Question Can a Betta be with Guppies?

Is it fine for my 3 guppies to be living with my betta? They have been in the same tank together for about 3 weeks now, at first my betta was chasing them but now he doesnt mind them at all(unless they get in his way) should i worry about anything or are they all fine living together?
Rainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #2 
blu the betta

Mine are never attacked.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #3 
Rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
Mine are never attacked.
So they should be fine together? My betta isnt agressive anyways. I heard guppies cant live with bettas due to there colorful flashy bodys.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 
Tabby216

A male betta fish I don't recommend to be with guppies because of their fins. A female betta fish it depends on them but I wouldn't want to risk it especially having three guppies. She might want to bite them therefore eat them. It is just good to stay with one betta in the fish tank just to be on the safe side.
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #5 
Kithy

It's a gamble with adding any fish in with a betta. Guppies are risky because bettas will sometimes attack other fish with flow-y and colorful fins. Close observation is recommended as well as an emergency backup tank for either the guppies or the betta in case things go bad.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #6 
Rainbows

I totally understand that it is a risk for 3 guppies to be living with my betta. I have been keeping an eye on them and everything seems to be fine. I enjoy seeing them get along with my male betta Dreamless.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #7 
Kithy

Then I wouldn't worry excessively as all fish are individuals in what they will and will not tolerate but I would always keep close watch in case of sudden behavioral changes. As long as the water is clean and everyone is well fed (not over fed, just no competing for food) and there's enough room and decor for everyone to be happy it should be okay.

What size tank do you have, by the way? Size can and will play a big part in a long term stability of four fish.

So long as you are watchful on parameters and behavior again, I wouldn't worry too much. But remember that they are unpredictable sometimes so things do happen. Keeping a backup tank, even if you keep it empty until you need it, is always a good idea.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #8 
Rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Then I wouldn't worry excessively as all fish are individuals in what they will and will not tolerate but I would always keep close watch in case of sudden behavioral changes. As long as the water is clean and everyone is well fed (not over fed, just no competing for food) and there's enough room and decor for everyone to be happy it should be okay.

What size tank do you have, by the way? Size can and will play a big part in a long term stability of four fish.

So long as you are watchful on parameters and behavior again, I wouldn't worry too much. But remember that they are unpredictable sometimes so things do happen. Keeping a backup tank, even if you keep it empty until you need it, is always a good idea.
The tank they are in is a 5 gallon. I have hiding places and all for everyone in the tank.