Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #1 
mermaid77

Am I on the right track...?

Hi all!
New to the forum and to Betta keeping.
Got my little guy a little over a week ago. Most of the fish at the pet store were kept in rather poor condition so, unsurprisingly, my boy ( a red veiltail I named Sushi ) came home with a mild case of fin rot. I was advised against getting him a heater for the 1.5g tank I purchased (already ordered online his 5g mansion upgrade tho lol) , but after discovering this forum, I have since gotten him one, so he's now in a toasty 80* comfy temp and is working away on building his first bubble nest as I type this! Yayy! lol
I've been treating him with Aq salt and frequent water changes for the rot and am now on day 6...the rot was only on his tail fin...it had frayed black edges. As of yesterday, the black edges are now gone, but today I noticed ALL his fins seem to have clear/transparent edges....is this fin growth....or an indication that the salt is getting a bit too harsh for him since it's affecting all his fins and I should discontinue treatment? I've only been adding 1/2 teaspoon/gallon along with the water conditioner (Bettasafe). Other than that, he's his usual active, happy and social self...quite the character lol and with a healthy appetite (got a scare with that too since he didn't eat his first couple of days...).
Anyway, advice much appreciated, cuz like I mentioned, I'm very new to this and don't really know what to look for and/or expect and I definitely want to give him a proper home in my care.
Thanks very much!
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Happy to say you are seeing fin growth . . . Good job! Typically clean warm conditioned water is the best medicine so you can continue with Aq salt or not but don't use it for more than 14 days. Also if you're going to run a filter on the 5g tank make sure you read about cycling a tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #3 
mermaid77

Phewww!!! I'm so relieved!!!! Thank You!!!! They are so delicate that I feel like I'm walking on eggshells lol. But Sushi here seems pretty hearty and I make sure I acclimate him well before releasing him in his fresh clean water each time....I took 5 hours helping him adjust to my water the first night home lol
And yes, I've reading up on cycling and can't wait for his 5g to get here....the initial frequent partial changes certainly sound a lot simpler than the 100% ones I've been having to do on his 1.5...
Thanks again!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 
callistra

Good job if you're seeing regrowth!

Cycling takes up to 2 months and during this time you should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time either show up. In addition to this a regular 50% weekly change with siphon/turkey baster is needed. First you will see ammonia spike, then you will see nitrites. Eventually, even after a week of no water changes ammonia will stay at 0, then finally nitrites. At this point you should be left with only nitrates, which should be kept <20ppm and the lower the betta by a weekly 50% change with siphon/turkey baster.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #5 
mermaid77

Thanks Callistra!!! Yep, already stocked with both siphon and baster! lol Also looking in on some low light easy to maintain live plants to add in once my tank gets here...Very excited for my first ever aquarium...really wanna do this right! ;)