Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #1 
Melodica

Bloated boy in a divided tank

Today I noticed that one of my boys is very bloated. He's got a large bulge in his stomach area. I tried in vain to get a picture, but he wouldn't hold still and the only camera that I have right now (on my phone) sucks. Neither of the other two fish are bloated and none are acting differently.

The tank is a 10g divided with two other fish. It's filtered and heated at 78 degrees. I change about half the water once a week and use API Stress Coat +. I feed them 3 Omega One pellets twice per day and skip a day once a week. I don't know the water parameters.

I'm hoping he will just poop and it will go away, but if I end up having to treat with Epsom salt, is it okay to treat the entire tank or should I take the bloated boy out and treat him alone?
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #2 
eemmais

Hi. I don't have omega one pellets, but unless they are very small, 6 pellets a day is too much. Remember, your bettas stomach is only about the size of its eye. I would fast him for a few days. If you do have to treat with salt, I would QT him. I don't think it would do a lot of damage to the other fish, but it's not a good idea to give a healthy fish laxatives.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #3 
callistra

It's fine to treat the whole tank. Fast him 3 days or up to a week until you see him poop and the bloat goes down.

Also if the poop is odd and stays odd he may need meds..

How long has your tank been set up? Did you fishless cycle it?

To above: 6 a day is on the high end but it's not too much for some fish.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #4 
TheOnlyCanvas

In terms of the pellets, Omega One pellets are fairly small. 6 a day should be fine.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #5 
purplecandle

Have you considered dropsy? Test kits are very important. Knowing water parameters would help eliminate or narrow down causes for problems.

Anyways, I hope he feels better and that this is not something serious! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
purplecandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #6 
Melodica

I've had them in the tank since December (my fiance had an established tank, so when I set theirs up, I used some water and substrate from it).

I'll definitely fast him for the time period you recommended and if that doesn't work, I'll try the epsom salt. I just didn't want to hurt the other two since there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with them.

Thanks for the advice!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote