Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

I wonder if it would be a good idea to treat all of the girls. Both internal parasites and bacterial infections are contagious. What do you think, Callistra?

If you have live plants or other inhabitants in the tank that are sensitive to those meds, both Kanaplex and metro can be mixed in a solution with water or garlic juice and you can soak the pellets in it (except for New life spectrum as they don't soak well). You could probably try feeding metro & Kanaplex mixed for two weeks and then metro for an additional week (Kanaplex can be treated for two weeks and internal parasites need treated for three). Kanaplex is a gentle med and metro I believe is not too harsh, either, since its pure. People don't usually recommend treatment if there are no signs of sickness, but I often see people recommend treating a whole tank if one fish is sick, and I think that would be a good precautionary measure, anyways.

You could also use IAL (if you don't already) to boost the remaining girls' immune systems or you can get VitaChem and use it along with tank water or garlic juice to soak the pellets, as well as adding it directly to the water, because it, too, boosts the immune system.

I really hope that now, you can prevent more girls from getting sick, especially since you have both metro and Kanaplex. If you decide to treat them all, hopefully no others will be lost. Of course, only time will tell.

I wish you and your girls the best of luck.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

I thought about treating the whole tank but was hesitant because of how odd this whole thing is. And yes there other inhabitants, snails & 2 CAE's. I did thaw some blood worms, mix in the metro & re freeze, don't know if that'll work but it worth a shot. The Kanaplex says to only do 3 doses which would be 6 days while the metro says "its difficult to overdose" & doesn't give a time frame. So I think I'm on the right road . . . I hope.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #13 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would quarantine and treat them all, as by the time the infection has progressed to dropsy it is often too late. If you can mix Epsom salts and kanaplex I would, it will relieve the fluid build up and at the very least make your girls a bit more comfortable.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I would quarantine and treat them all, as by the time the infection has progressed to dropsy it is often too late. If you can mix Epsom salts and kanaplex I would, it will relieve the fluid build up and at the very least make your girls a bit more comfortable.
The two currently sick ones are in QT tanks & each has already had Epsom salt treatments. If you read my op you'll see that after having a certain type of female for 6-8 months they get dropsy, these two are ones I've had for 6 months. I don't have enough tanks nor space to QT 9 more girls & i don't have one tank big enough to comfortably house them all plus the rest are not presenting any symptoms.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I did read the thread. And that is my point exactly- dropsy may be the only sign and by then it is to late.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #16 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oops double posted somehow.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I did read the thread. And that is my point exactly- dropsy may be the only sign and by then it is to late.
I appreciate the advice, I do, its not something I haven't thought about.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #18 
callistra

I've used Kanaplex for a month in extreme cases.. The treatment for fish TB is double dose of Kanaplex for a month + Vitamin B supplement. I don't recommended it but I know for sure 2 weeks is safe, and the Kanaplex did not kill the fish even after double dose for a month.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

That is why I suggested soaking the pellets in it... That way you don't have to QT them all because I know that'd be a lot of QT tanks, but I did say you might want to ask Callistra... She obviously has experience with Kanaplex and is very knowledgable on diseases and medications.

If you soak the pellets and treat them that way, you don't need to QT them all. Only the ones who have pineconed or bloated would need QTed. I think that the CTs have stronger lines and maybe they just don't succumb to it as easily, but they have still been exposed.

It's just a suggestion, though. You can do whatever you think is best, but treating them all is a good idea, IMO. Feeding them the meds won't affect the rest of the tank inhabitants.. Just make sure all of the pellets get eaten by the girls and don't sink. You can continue on like normal with your normal feeding schedule and everything, just soaking the pellets for 10 minutes beforehand.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #20 
callistra

Yeah you can feed Kanaplex. I do it like this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=0#post1451846

Only sub Kanaplex for the Metro.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote