Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #1 
musicalbetta

Exclamation Fuzzy Betta? Help!

My betta fish is in a 2.5gal aquarium with a marimo moss ball, and a mini filter.

I just got him, and at the time of the first tank setup I didn't have water condition so I used deer park bottled water, as I thought it would be better than tap.

I was going back to petsmart today to get a heater and thermometer. So at this time I don't know the temperature of the water. (It's probably room temperature.)

I feed him Aqueon Betta Food twice daily.

In my hermit crab supplies I just found a bottle of TopFin Tap Water Dechlorinator. Would that work for my betta or do I need to buy a betta specific conditioner?

Basically I need a list of what I need to buy, and what EXACTLY to do. This is my first fish and I know nothing about water changes or anything.

Please help me. :c
musicalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Does he look like the fish in the picture below? If so, it could be a bacterial infection called Columnaris.

Columnaris requires a gram-negative antibiotic, like Maracyn 2.

If your tank is cycled, the Maracyn 2 will kill the cycle. So if you can afford it, I would pick up a one gallon 'hospital tank' to treat him. These are available at Petsmart for about $8. (You don't need a filter for it. Just get a basic one gallon container.)

If the stuff on your guy does NOT look like what's shown in the photo below, can you post a picture showing the 'fuzzy stuff?'

This fish has colummnaris (internet image):

As for your TopFin Tap Water Dechlorinator.... Look at the bottle. It should say that it neutralizes/removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals. If it says that, it's fine. If it doesn't, pick up a water conditioner that does all of these..... If you're concerned about ammonia, you can get Prime Water Conditioner. It temporarily neutralizes ammonia for about 48 hours.... (You don't need a betta specific water conditioner. In fact, most of them are just regular conditioners that have been diluted, so you're paying extra to get 'water'!)

The Aqueon pellets are OK, but have a lot of wheat, which can cause constipation and bloating. (I speak from experience on this!) A pellet that has fish as the first 3 ingredients would be preferable. On this forum, the two most recommended pellets are: New Life Spectrum (NLS) pellets, or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #3 
musicalbetta

I'm sorry if you can't see him well. He wouldn't move from that spot.

The gray around his mouth is the "fuzzy"

Let me try to take another one.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #4 
musicalbetta

Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 
callistra

Please provide more info: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Most bottled drinking water is not suitable for keeping bettas for a wide variety of reasons. Unless you know your ph, gh, and kh of the water I would not use it.

I would begin a series of water changes, mixing back in tap water. I would do this slowly. Try replacing about a half a gallon a day for the next 3 or 4 days and see how he does.

The water changes should include using his in tank thermometer to match current bowl temp to the new water tap water - place it under running tap. You then need to mix up the water with a good liquid conditioner that says it removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals - must say all three - before you add it to the tank. If you don't already have something to do this, you can get gallon water jugs from the store and rinse them in hot tap water and no chems.

For the fuzz, which is likely columnaris, and opportunistic disease from fish stress and poor water conditions, I would look for Kanaplex (can be combined with Furan 2), or Triple Sulfa. If you can't find any of those you can try Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo. Treat for a minimum of one full week, but be prepared for a second.

-----------------------

Here is some general info on keeping Bettas:

Bettas need to be kept in 2 gallons minimum. In these twice weekly water changes of 50% and 100% are needed. Bettas kept in 1 gallon containers live an average of about 2 years compared to double that+ in larger containers. The 1 gallon would need 3 weekly water changes of 50%, 50% and 100%, and even then they will be subjected to ammonia.

The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.

Most people will tell you that you can't ever fully cycle a tank this small, despite your filter, and you will alwys need these changes.. you can try, but careful daily monitoring and reliable test kits should be used. You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon or new fresh turkey baster that has never seen chems is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever. I actually suggest a turkey baster or very small siphon because your tank is so small an average siphon will remove water too quickly.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% change with baster/siphon. However, cycling will take up to two months to complete and many if not most people will tell you that you can't cycle a tank of this size and you will always need twice weekly 50% and 100% water changes or you will always see ammonia continuing to build and the cycle will never finish..

Bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at a temp between 76-82, with 78-80 being ideal. The temp must be stable and not be dipping or jumping around. In a 2 gallon you can get an adjustable 25w heater. Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp between 78-80F. Then the betta must be acclimated to higher temp either by floating in a cup inside the main already fully heated tank for an hour, or by adjusting the heater to increase the temperature of the tank no more than a degree per hour and 5 degrees per day.

Flakes aren't good nutritional value, and especially with something this small they muck up the water quickly causing excess ammonia. You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #6 
musicalbetta

Thank you for all the information. In about an hour I am going to petsmart. I'll get a hospitpal bowl, triple sulfa, a heater, thermometer, and better food. When I come home I'll get him in the bowl and start treatments.

The Betta food I have is pellets, but I understand the necessity for a good quality food.

Do I keep him in a bowl all week for his treatment?
And I was planning on redoing the whole tank and fixing my mistakes.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #7 
musicalbetta

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? room temperature, or not sure
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a moss ball

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've only had him for 5 days, but I'd planned on doing on once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? planned on 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fuzzy moly stuff on mouth, bottom, and fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? gotten lazy and not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? i wouldn't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? Adult, I'm not sure other than that.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Does he look like the fish in the picture below? If so, it could be a bacterial infection called Columnaris.

Columnaris requires a gram-negative antibiotic, like Maracyn 2.

If your tank is cycled, the Maracyn 2 will kill the cycle. So if you can afford it, I would pick up a one gallon 'hospital tank' to treat him. These are available at Petsmart for about $8. (You don't need a filter for it. Just get a basic one gallon container.)

If the stuff on your guy does NOT look like what's shown in the photo below, can you post a picture showing the 'fuzzy stuff?'

This fish has colummnaris (internet image):

HI,
I was staring at my betta on QT and noticed that he had something like it dragging on his body, i know it is not parasite, more like a layers of while film that flows in 1/8" strands. It is not as much as the one in the photo, just a few strands dragging. He has not really be eating, and stays still at the top of the tank with occasional energtic bursts of swing in the 2.5g QT tank. No color loss and the crimson is vibrant and not dull.

So does my betta have columnaris. I searched the internet for photo samples and cannot find one, this is the closest I can match.

any info will be helpful.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-02-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, fuzzy