Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Velvet is an external parasite and Mycos is the only thing I know of that is transferable to humans. I still wouldn't put my hands in the water with open cuts or sores on it, though.

I would float the cup in the tank for awhile to stablize the temp and add a little bit of tank water to it every ten minutes or so for an hour before releasing him... If you can't fit the cup into the opening of the tank it could be a problem. I usually just tip the cup into the tank and let the fish swim out on his own.

Also, a fry tank is for spawns of baby fish...

Edit: also, what Callistra said, lol. I would seriously go out to Walmart and check out those two gallon cookie jars if you can. If you can't have anything bigger than a one gallon... Just tell them that its a one gallon, lol. They can't really argue and IMO, its hard to judge volume by just looking at a container. I can try to find a picture of those 2 gallon jars if you would like..

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 03-02-2013 at 02:42 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #12 
intelligentle

Thanks so much you guys. Hopefully from learning all of this, i can help get him better and take better care of him. I took a few photos of his tank; i assumed it was a one-gallon tank but the container i have him in kind of sounds like the kind you were talking about from walmart. I put a dvd case next to it for size reference. You can also see the light I have for him there, too. I'm not allowed to have a real "tank" but they said as long as he's in a vase-sized container it would be okay.

intelligentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #13 
intelligentle

and if i get some of his old water (the water in his solo cup transport container) in his new water while he has velvet, will it contaminate his new water?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #14 
intelligentle

If you could find me a photo of the walmart container, i we'd both be really greatful! maybe i can get him a new home then.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

You will inevitably get a little old water in there. Just try to get a minimal amount into his new water. That container looks a little like the one gallon quarantine jars I have.

This is the 2 gallon jar

Edit: this will take up a little more space but it also has a wider opening. You will need to make a different lid for it but you could use suran wrap with holes in it..
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Velvet can be hard to get rid of fully. Took my fish 2-3 weeks to recover from it.

One word of advice, do not stop medicating even if it looks like the parasites have gone away. This is why people often post about their problems with recurring ich and velvet. They both have complicated life-cycles and can only be killed at a certain point. If you stop your treatment early, you often don't kill it off and it will come back to plague your fish again and again.

I assume it will be the fluctuating temperatures that caused it. That's what happened with me. Left a heater unplugged in winter, the fish in the tank got velvet and because I shared equipment all my tanks and fish got sick.

You really need a heater to prevent the fluctuations in temperature that will stress a betta and leave them open to these opportunistic parasites. Also, the colder the water, the longer the life cycle of velvet/ich and so the longer it takes to treat.

I used ichonex when treating my fish. It was a copper sulphate/malachite green (I think) solution. Malachite green is light sensitive and will not work if exposed to bright light, so this is also why it is recommended to completely cover your tank if it is in the medication you are using.

Also be careful that he is does not scratch himself hard enough to cause ulcers. A couple of my fish cut their heads right open because the parasite caused so much irritation they would rub themselves raw.

Good luck with treatment. It is no walk in the park!
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #17 
intelligentle

Thanks so much! I will try to find the brands you mentioned at petsmart and stop by walmart to see if they have the larger bowl for him. I can't tell you how grateful i am for you guys helping me and giving me advice on how to take care better care of my little guy. If petsmart doesn't have a specific velvet medicine, can i get medication for ich like what i'm assuming ichonex is?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

I think ichonex is an Australian made brand so you may not find it in the States.

I think both ich and velvet are sensitive to copper and so this is why it could be used to treat both.

I have found that even in the visible parasites on the body of the fish vanish, if you look at the fin membrane between the rays and on the very edges of the gills with a flashlight you can still sometimes see velvet there. This is why it is always good to double-check these areas before you discontinue any treatment. Sometimes one treatment isn't always enough to knock it completely on the head.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #19 
intelligentle

Thank you guys for your help. I'm going to see what medication i can get for him and start his treatment immediately! if he doesn't take then i'll ask for more help then x:
Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

Don't be disheartened if it looks like he is getting worse before he gets better. My fish looked on death's door (a couple did end up dying) for a long while, and then a month or so after treatment ended, they spawned and gave me 20 fry (one of them is in my display picture).

I think copper can also be more toxic to fish at a lower pH. However, I personally have treated fish with the ichonex at a very low pH and didn't lose anyone, not even fry, so I think the sensitivity to copper at a lower pH varies.

Good luck! Hope your guy is on the mend soon.