Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #1 
Senshine

Is this fin rot?

I got this guy a little over a week ago and noticed some of the tips on his anal and caudal fin
were red. I assumed it was fin rot so I kept him in his quarantine vase, added the aquarium salt,
and changed all the water every day (re-adding the salt with every 100% change).
It has been about 7 days since I started the treatment but his fins look the same as they did
when I got him so I'm wondering if it is fin rot or maybe just odd colouration.
Here are some photos of him and the spots on his fins:

Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Are there any red streaks in his fins? Like, bloody streaks? If so that is Septicemia and may need more than salt to heal.

I was going to mention tailbiting but you said the anal had the same?

Do you PRE-dissolve the salt before adding?
What temperature is the quarantine?

Right now try and get him comfortable - tank with heater (preferably adjustable) and keep an eye on him. It could very well be Septicemia, which then with proper husbandry and environment plus a medicine like Maracyn (or Maracyn 2? Not sure which ATM) will help a lot.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #3 
bettaboyshiva

If it is septicemia which it looks like to me or could very well be ammonia burns or bacterial. If its any of these you can use (tetra lifeguard). It works very well!
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

It can also be treated with Kanaplex. IMO everyone should have Kanaplex on hand because you usually need to order it online and it is a life saver, literally. It treats fungal/bacterial infections including dropsy, septicemia, and culomnaris which often kill quickly if not treated immediately. Just a thought.

I also recently ordered VitaChem online and use it in all my tanks. It treats fin rot and can be used as a regular additive to boost the immune system. It is literally vitamins for fish. It's also supposed to make your fishes colors more vibrant.

Anyways, lol, those are two things I would recommend that every Betta owner should get.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 
Senshine

I have Maracyn 2, but if Kanaplex is better I can get that.
I haven't really noticed any red steaks, but thats not what I was focusing on looking at haha. I'll be able to check later and I'll post more pictures.
I have a 1.5g aquarium and unfortunately a pre-set heater; I haven't been able to find a small adjustable one.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 
callistra

Maracyn 2 isn't likely to help with septicemia.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I've used either maracyn or maracyn 2 for Septicemia and it worked nicely. Not sure which though xD been a while. Kanaplex I will second that - because it is hard to get, but so well worth it. I buy a new one every year or half a year.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #8 
Senshine

I'm going to get the Kanaplex tonight, and I'm also going to look for an adjustable 25W heater again.
If you look at this picture really close, is that the red streaking you would see with septicemia?

And Sena, it is mostly on his anal fin from what I can see. He's very shy so it makes it very hard to get pictures of him.
And I was pre-disolving the salt, adding it in, then acclimating him to the water.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #9 
Senshine

So I finally found the Kanaplex and an adjustable heater.
He definitely has the red streaks on his fins so I started the treatment today.
On the Kanaplex bottle, it says to repeat te dosage every 2 days. Does that mean I change te water and re-add the Kanaplex?
Would it be helpful if I filled out the question survey in the pinned topic?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, that would be helpful.

You have to re-dose the meds because they become ineffective after time. Knowing your tank size might help.... Callistra would know exactly how redosing works. I'm not sure if you need to change 50% of the water and add another full dose.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote