Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 
Caii

Question Alright, so what is this?

Ok, so a raised, white, fuzzy patch appeared on Bo's side a week or so ago. Fearing that it was columnaris or anything equally as scary, I went out and bought Aquarium Salt, Ammo-lock (to keep the ammonia level more manageable) and Bettafix. I decided not to use the Bettafix because I wanted to see if the Aquarium Salt and water changes would work, and thus far... nothing's gotten worse, but nothing's gotten better, either.

Bo's behavior hasn't changed at all, so I've ruled out columnaris. I also ruled out ich, because when I shine light on him, the only think that sparkles/shines is the white spot. Bo's poop output and look is the same as before, so I'm really iffy about the internal parasite idea as well...

If anyone could could please look at the attached photo and give me
any input, that'd be really great. I'm currently out of money, but I should get some money on March 23rd if you would like to suggest anything I could try to help solve the problem.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely,
Caii and Bo

P.S.- In the photo below, the big white patch on his side is the mystery issue in question.It looks much bigger in the photo, but I'm still very concerned. Any and all help would be greatly welcomed, thank you!

What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None!

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets daily and Frozen Brine Shrimp once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% every other day due to ammonia in water; I was previously doing 100% every day while treating the issue with AQ salt.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Ammo-lock and AQ salt as a treatment.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 ppm (Readings after 100% changes)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A single, raised, white, fuzzy spot appeared on Bo's side, and has remained after treating for a week with full water changes and AQ salt. It hasn't grown any larger.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week or so ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes; water changes and AQ salt. I have Bettafix, but I'm holding off on using it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bo's been with me since January 16th
Attached Images

Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #2 
Kwomais

It looks like you have Ick, my friend. Here's what the treatment page says to try:

Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.
•Alternative Treatment: Personally, I have not found Ick medications very effective. I prefer to use PP to treat all external parasites. In the past, I have used 3 or 4 different ick medications unsuccessfully, and every time I resort to PP which works like a charm. Do lots of research before using PP as it is a more dangerous chemical than most.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #3 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwomais View Post
It looks like you have Ick, my friend. Here's what the treatment page says to try:

Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.
•Alternative Treatment: Personally, I have not found Ick medications very effective. I prefer to use PP to treat all external parasites. In the past, I have used 3 or 4 different ick medications unsuccessfully, and every time I resort to PP which works like a charm. Do lots of research before using PP as it is a more dangerous chemical than most.
How can it be ick if the area affected is one particular spot and not the whole body? What about Bo's behavior? It hasn't changed at all... He's not darting, scratching, lethargic or looking like he's been spinkled with salt. I don't want to use medications if I don't have to...

If I may ask, why do you think it's ick?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #4 
callistra

So he's been on Aquarium salt for a week? How much?

Ick is not fuzz. It is salt sprinkles. This is not ick. It is either columnaris or actual fungal infection.

Treat with Kanaplex, Triple Sulfa or Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo for 1-2 weeks.

So are you saying you have ammonia in your tap water? I would use prime as your conditioner - dose every other day and do a 100% change by day 5.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #5 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
So he's been on Aquarium salt for a week? How much?

Ick is not fuzz. It is salt sprinkles. This is not ick. It is either columnaris or actual fungal infection.

Treat with Kanaplex, Triple Sulfa or Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo for 1-2 weeks.

So are you saying you have ammonia in your tap water? I would use prime as your conditioner - dose every other day and do a 100% change by day 5.
His AQ salt dose has been 1 teaspoon since the package only recommends 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon (and he's in a 2.5 gallon.)

In your opinion, callistra, why hasn't his personality or behavior changed? That's what's really throwing me for a loop.

I'm hoping it's not columnaris, and as time goes on, I'm becoming less convinced that it may be columnaris simply because he's not showing any particular signs other than the white patch.

In reference to the medication, what combination would you recommend? And why not use just a singular medication? Sorry for all the questions; I'm just trying to be thurough and to understand!

Yes, I have ammonia in my tap water. Is what you're referring to Seachem Prime? Luckily I have ammonia lock to try and keep the ammonia levels more stable, but when I can afford it, I'll get the prime.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #6 
callistra

Well that much salt wouldn't have touched this.. since he's already been on this a week, unfortunately you're out of time to treat this with salt.

Well whatever it is appears to be completely exterior at this point.. it hasn't effected him systemically, which is good.

I suggest meds in that order. Kanaplex is strong enough it doesn't really need any help. Triple Sulfa is actually 3 meds. Maracyn and Maracyn 2 make a good combo ecause one is gram positive and one is gram negative.

Yeah, I wouldn't use Ammo Lock. I'd use Seachem Prime.. 2 drops per gallon every other day. 50% change mid week and 100% change at week's end. If it climbs over .5ppm at any point you may need 2 or 3 50% followed by 100%
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #7 
Caii

Quote:
Well that much salt wouldn't have touched this.. since he's already been on this a week, unfortunately you're out of time to treat this with salt.

Well whatever it is appears to be completely exterior at this point.. it hasn't effected him systemically, which is good.

I suggest meds in that order. Kanaplex is strong enough it doesn't really need any help. Triple Sulfa is actually 3 meds. Maracyn and Maracyn 2 make a good combo ecause one is gram positive and one is gram negative.

Yeah, I wouldn't use Ammo Lock. I'd use Seachem Prime.. 2 drops per gallon every other day. 50% change mid week and 100% change at week's end. If it climbs over .5ppm at any point you may need 2 or 3 50% followed by 100%
Thank you so much callistra! I've been agonizing over this for awhile now, and it's good to get something solid to go on....
As soon as I can, I'll get some Seachem Prime and Kanaplex. Where can I find these things?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #8 
callistra

My LFS has both. Petco and Petsmart carry Prime.. almost anywhere but Walmart will have Prime. I understand Kanplex can be hard to find, so you'll have to use your phone book or yellowpages.com and call around. Triple Sulfa can be found at most Petsmarts because it's an API med. I think Walmart may carry the Maracyns, but not sure.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #9 
Kwomais

My apologies Caii, I read white & stopped there, my mistake, whoops! Good thing there are many members with lots of experience on this forum, like Callistra!
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #10 
Caii

Quote:
My LFS has both. Petco and Petsmart carry Prime.. almost anywhere but Walmart will have Prime. I understand Kanplex can be hard to find, so you'll have to use your phone book or yellowpages.com and call around. Triple Sulfa can be found at most Petsmarts because it's an API med. I think Walmart may carry the Maracyns, but not sure.
Thank you! In your opinion, would the best medication be Kanaplex? Or the Triple Sulfa?

Tags
mystery