Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #21 
carbonxxkidd

Oh sorry, I totally missed that sentence before, haha. I would hope it's not a water quality issue - I try to take pretty good care of my tank and all the plants are healthy, but I guess there's always a possibility. Hopefully no one else will get sick...I'd hate to have the whole tank crash after only a couple months. Thanks for all your help! :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #22 
AyalaCookiejar

I think its more likely the use of frozen foods and not a water quality issue... Hopefully you can get everything cleared up.

I have tried treating the water with meds but feeding them works better and is easier, IMO. Then you can continue on with the feeding schedule and water change schedule you already have.

If you are worried about water quality though and you change the water weekly, maybe it would be a good idea to test the water daily for a week? Just to be sure the water parameters are still good after a week. If not, you may have to adjust the water change schedule to every 6 or 5 days. But I don't really think its a water quality issue.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #23 
carbonxxkidd

Well, I'm not having very high hopes...I think it is in fact bacterial. She's pineconing now :( Still no interest in food, and just hangs out at the top of her QT cup not moving most of the time. :(
Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #24 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, no :( Are you treating her with anything? Dropsy can also be caused by an internal parasite (one that does not affect the color/look of the poop) but is usually caused by an internal bacterial infection...

In either case, I would combine Metro and Kanaplex if you decide to treat her. And I would also treat the other girls. You can feed both Metro and Kanaplex so if you mixed them and soaked the food in the mixture, it should prevent the other girls from getting it as both internal parasites and bacterial infections are contagious.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #25 
carbonxxkidd

I am not because I don't have the right stuff...I have a few medications here but nothing for the parasite part. I have api triple sulfa, api general cure, epsom and aq salt and that's it. Going to buy some other stuff online though...I think this girl's chances aren't looking good. She's also blue and I was a bit nervous about buying her initially but she was doing so well until now! Still no interest in food but the other girls are fine so hopefully I can get the right meds before they start showing symptoms (if they're infected). :(
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

General cure will work for parasites and soaking food. It's metro and prazi, I believe. Metro alone would work better, though. You can add it + Kanaplex to the water or the food..

I'm not sure about the other meds. Even if one is an antibacterial, it may not be easily absorbed through the skin like Kanaplex.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #27 
carbonxxkidd

So, should I just dissolve a bit of the General Cure in water and then soak pellets?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #28 
carbonxxkidd

And what about the corys? Would eating soaked pellets help them if they have parasites too? Or would it be bad for them?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #29 
callistra

If it were me, I'd start by using Triple Sulfa and Epsom salt - 1 tsp per gallon and you can increase it to 2 tsp after 12 hours.

Don't just wait for the Kanaplex to arrive. The Triple Sulfa might work and dropsy moves so fast you probably don't have time for meds to come in the mail.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #30 
carbonxxkidd

Yes, the dropsy definitely does work fast...I lost her about 45 mins ago. :( I'm really sad because she was honestly the most beautiful fish in my tank! I want to get another blue female now but am going to wait a while after this craziness.

As for the rest of my tank, what should I do? Should I wait and see if any others develop symptoms or try and do the food thing? Still nervous about using anything in that tank though with the shrimp/snails/plants/scaleless fish...