Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Julius has a fin problem can you tell me what it is?

Still shots were impossible as he won't sit still. Pay attention to the tips of his fins and there is tiny bit of black between fins on the bottom. If my water looks cloudy to you It's because I tried a filter last night and it stirred up the water and it's too harsh I had to cut it off. The water was changed last night.

I have a 5 gallon tank with normal PH and no ammonia. He was sick when I bought him he is actually doing much better he had swim bladder problems.
Now that we've go that straight I want to address the fin issue. The water temp is 72 degrees. I don't have nitrate kit yet I bought one online today.
I bought Julius to save him he clearly had personality but maybe not so pretty. He has a medium activity level, he is responsive to me. He is eating well with food that has fish as the first ingredient. His color has improved since I bought him on Feb 13th. I have AQ salt and I just sent for the Jungle Fungus stuff on Amazon.

http://youtu.be/JQ0g1wW5Gc0
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #2 
callistra

He's definitely too cold. Bettas need a constant unchanging temp between 78-80F.

More info might be helpful: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

It's difficult to tell from your video but it appears his colors are normal.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

I am sorry that was typo he's at 82 degrees.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

There a clump or tearing on his upper fin that is what I am concerned about. The one that has the coloring issue is blue I will post him shortly that one's name is Nano. For Julius if you pause the video at about 58 secs you will see the upper fin issue I am referring to.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-02-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

I hope someone will look at the video as I really do want to address this if needed.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I watched the video but it was only 32 seconds long. You referred to a location at 58 seconds though...?

From the 32 second video that you posted, I didn't see anything drastically wrong. Now that he's in warm, clean water and getting good food, then any fin issues should start to heal.

If you want to add something, maybe look into API Stress Coat. It contains aloe, which can be soothing, and can help promote healing.

But I think that you're giving him a good home now, so he may just need some time to heal up.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

It is actually at at the 7-8 mark if you pause there you can see a tear or cluster on his top fin on the end.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #8 
sainthogan

I had to watch the video a few times to see what I think you are referring to. If it is what I think it is, then I would guess that perhaps he tore it on a decoration and now it's clumping or twisting together as it's healing. The best thing to help him is warm, clean water.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #9 
callistra

Does it look like his fins are melting together? I just can't tell from that video.. that's fin melt, and means there's a water quality issue.

Like I said.. please fill out the guide.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

He has developed some black lines on the edges of his fins so I am going ahead with 5 days of AQ salt treatment and water changes, slime coat and see if it improves. I am assuming this the beginning of rot.