Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #11 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
My plants were expensive, but then again I was stocking a 20 gal for a sorority. They're alive, and I'm not much of a plant grower so I hope that explains something about care. I just use gravel and a liquid growth additive called Envy.
About how much do you think it would cost, approximately, to plant a divided 10 gallon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
For plants there are a couple of different ones that are easy to grow.

Tall plants: elodea (also called anacharis), red ludwigia, wisteria, hornwort, cabomba and ambulia
Mid-plants: java fern, anubias
Ground plant: java moss, dwarf hairgrass
Floaters: duckweed, frogbit

With the exception of the hairgrass, all of these plants take their nutrients primarily from the water rather than the substrate, so what you plant them in won't really matter. I'll attach a photo of my tank so you can see the riotous growth I get with these plants just from plain old water, gravel and sand.
Nice! Which is easier to clean? Sand or gravel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Might I suggest that you get an extra 25watt adjustable heater anyways... A ten gallon should have at least 50 watts. A 25watt might work, but it will overwork your heater and it may not heat as consistently.

Otherwise, as long as water can easily pass through your divider, I don't see any issues with having the filter on one side. And fast growing live plants will do wonders for your water quality.
I plan on getting mesh dividers so the water can pass through. Would having two 25watt heaters be better than just getting a 50watt? I figured I could adjust each heater based on the temperature of each half, assuming the heater near the filter doesn't really heat the other half.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I plan on getting mesh dividers so the water can pass through. Would having two 25watt heaters be better than just getting a 50watt? I figured I could adjust each heater based on the temperature of each half, assuming the heater near the filter doesn't really heat the other half.
You might just want to buy a 50 watt, especially if you plan on keeping the current tank and maybe putting a fish in there later on. You could also keep the 25watt to use in a hospital tank if you ever need one...

I have Hydor Theo heaters and I know that the 25 and 50watts are the same price, but they get a little more expensive for each bigger size. So if the 25 and 50 watt heaters are the same price, there's really no reason to get another 25 watt if the 50watt is identical in price... and then you'll be able to keep the 25 watt around for future use, if needed. It's more efficient to have two heaters able to heat two tanks rather than just one.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #13 
Hadoken Kitty

Well, I dropped some coin at the local pet store for some of their plants. Like, $86 worth at one point and that didn't stock it to the point it is now (I ended up buying more later). Buying from people off of here is definitely the cheaper route to go. If you look in the classifieds section, there is always someone looking to sell. From the sounds of it, you might be able to buy from bomba soon too. :P
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

If it helps, I just ordered 6 different plants (anubias barteri, java fern, jungle Val, java moss, hornwort and water sprite) from a member here for $40, including shipping and a heat pack. I just looked in the classified section.

I don't know how much it would cost for that in a pet/fish store because I'm weary of buying anything live, there. At least members here are more knowledgable, you will know for sure if they have snails in the tank and the health of the fish in the tank as well, and what temp the plants are at/what pH the water they are being grown in is, etc... Plants can acclimate to different temps and pHs just like the fish, but I still like to know the temp and pH they are used to for acclimation purposes.

One thing I like about live plants is they multiply on their own, unlike silk plants :p lol. That means money saved in the long run, plus cleaner water for my fishies. And live plants are also more interesting than silk ones. It's just hard to go wrong... Unless, of course, you have a hard time keeping them alive. But even then, its all a learning experience.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #15 
Bombalurina

As for cleaning, gravel is definitely easier, especially in a planted tank. You just dig the siphon in and watch it suck. With sand, you have to hover the siphon over the surface and suck up the minute dirt particles, which really show up on sand. They don't show up on gravel so much.

It's got to the stage in some members' tanks on here, my own included, where we have so many plants that we don't clean the substrate any more because we simply can't get to it. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #16 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
You might just want to buy a 50 watt, especially if you plan on keeping the current tank and maybe putting a fish in there later on. You could also keep the 25watt to use in a hospital tank if you ever need one...

I have Hydor Theo heaters and I know that the 25 and 50watts are the same price, but they get a little more expensive for each bigger size. So if the 25 and 50 watt heaters are the same price, there's really no reason to get another 25 watt if the 50watt is identical in price... and then you'll be able to keep the 25 watt around for future use, if needed. It's more efficient to have two heaters able to heat two tanks rather than just one.
If the 25 and 50 watts are the same price, I'll just get the 50 and save the old 25 for the hospital tank. If they're different, I'll just get another 25 watt and whenever one of the fish needs to go into a hospital tank, I'll just move their heater with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Well, I dropped some coin at the local pet store for some of their plants. Like, $86 worth at one point and that didn't stock it to the point it is now (I ended up buying more later). Buying from people off of here is definitely the cheaper route to go. If you look in the classifieds section, there is always someone looking to sell. From the sounds of it, you might be able to buy from bomba soon too. :P
I only want a few. I don't want it to be too heavily stocked to where I can't find my fish. I want to be able to put in hiding spots and be able to see them swimming around. I'm hoping it won't cost too much! I might just take your advice and buy from someone on here.

Quote:
If it helps, I just ordered 6 different plants (anubias barteri, java fern, jungle Val, java moss, hornwort and water sprite) from a member here for $40, including shipping and a heat pack. I just looked in the classified section.

I don't know how much it would cost for that in a pet/fish store because I'm weary of buying anything live, there. At least members here are more knowledgable, you will know for sure if they have snails in the tank and the health of the fish in the tank as well, and what temp the plants are at/what pH the water they are being grown in is, etc... Plants can acclimate to different temps and pHs just like the fish, but I still like to know the temp and pH they are used to for acclimation purposes.

One thing I like about live plants is they multiply on their own, unlike silk plants :p lol. That means money saved in the long run, plus cleaner water for my fishies. And live plants are also more interesting than silk ones. It's just hard to go wrong... Unless, of course, you have a hard time keeping them alive. But even then, its all a learning experience.
I definitely don't want snails! I don't want to have to worry about them exploding my tank with babies. I just want my bettas and maybe a few shrimp to help with algae and dropped food. I think I'll look into buying from someone on here. :3

Quote:
As for cleaning, gravel is definitely easier, especially in a planted tank. You just dig the siphon in and watch it suck. With sand, you have to hover the siphon over the surface and suck up the minute dirt particles, which really show up on sand. They don't show up on gravel so much.

It's got to the stage in some members' tanks on here, my own included, where we have so many plants that we don't clean the substrate any more because we simply can't get to it. :p
Will that siphon out the debris from the fish too, though? I want something that's easy to clean up after the fish. I don't mind so much about whatever mess the plants make. If it can't hurt the fish, I don't mind it being there. I just want to make sure I can clean up the dropped food and poo.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #17 
Bombalurina

It's the fish that make the debris. You may get the occasional leaf or needle falling from a plant, but it's fish waste that the siphon is cleaning. :)

In my tank, the food that doesn't get eaten by the fish gets nommed by the snails. Most of the poo just ends up in the layer of gunk inside my gravel and the plants suck it all up. :p When a tank is planted enough, that's what happens. Until that time, though, keep siphoning. :)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #18 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
It's the fish that make the debris. You may get the occasional leaf or needle falling from a plant, but it's fish waste that the siphon is cleaning. :)

In my tank, the food that doesn't get eaten by the fish gets nommed by the snails. Most of the poo just ends up in the layer of gunk inside my gravel and the plants suck it all up. :p When a tank is planted enough, that's what happens. Until that time, though, keep siphoning. :)
Oooh. I guess that would explain why I had such a hard time trying to siphon out Tiny Tina's tank today. I wound up just dumping the gravel into a strainer and cleaning it that way instead of siphoning it, because I wasn't getting anything. Am I supposed to bury it in the gravel and then siphon it? I was just trying to pick it up off the top, and then swirl the gravel to stir it up and get what settles... It didn't work too well.

I think I'll use gravel though. I'll probably get more natural colored gravel like I have in Patriot's tank, rather than having to buy a whole bag of sand that will fill 10 gallons. I can just get 5 more gallons worth of gravel. :)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #19 
Bombalurina

Yep, you stick the nozzle right down into the gravel, then lift it back out again. :) You should see stones and dirt dancing around in the tube. :)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #20 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Yep, you stick the nozzle right down into the gravel, then lift it back out again. :) You should see stones and dirt dancing around in the tube. :)
The siphon I have is too long to actually use in either of my tanks, so I got a turkey baster to clean it with. I'm sure the siphon would be way easier, but there's no room to use it in either of my tanks, and I think it would empty out Tiny Tina's tank super fast. Would I still stick the turkey baster into the gravel and suck it up that way, or...?