Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #21 
Bombalurina

Unfortunately I can't help you there - I have a pretty tiny siphon, but all my tanks, barring my hospital tank, are 5 gal+ so I've never used a turkey baster. Hopefully someone else will know! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #22 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
The siphon I have is too long to actually use in either of my tanks, so I got a turkey baster to clean it with. I'm sure the siphon would be way easier, but there's no room to use it in either of my tanks, and I think it would empty out Tiny Tina's tank super fast. Would I still stick the turkey baster into the gravel and suck it up that way, or...?
Turkey basters are harder to use. I find that my basters usually suck up gravel as well and don't spit it back out is I do it this way. So I sort of look for the poo or food and just suck from right above it. I can usually get it this way.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #23 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Unfortunately I can't help you there - I have a pretty tiny siphon, but all my tanks, barring my hospital tank, are 5 gal+ so I've never used a turkey baster. Hopefully someone else will know! :)
Mine is like, super long. It can't even fit inside the 5 gallon hex to siphon it. I might have my brother cut it down for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Turkey basters are harder to use. I find that my basters usually suck up gravel as well and don't spit it back out is I do it this way. So I sort of look for the poo or food and just suck from right above it. I can usually get it this way.
I've noticed! I had to keep pulling it apart to get the gravel out of it.

--

So, I emailed the dorms and someone got back to me. Yay! Unfortunately, he said they don't allow fish tanks with filters or air pumps, but bowls are allowed. I'm thinking this would include my KK that I originally had my Tiny Tina in. If that's the case, I'll just get Patriot one too.

Would I still be able to plant those? Do I NEED to have a filter? Or could I just plant it and let the plants take care of cleaning up after the fish for me? I'm thinking it'd be a lot cheaper this way anyway, as the KK I got for Tiny Tina was $16 and the heater I have was only $15. I'd buy another one for her, and the other KK for Patriot, and I can just use the same gravel and decorations I have. I'd have to get another desk lamp though, to light Patriot's KK. But if I can plant them, that would be great. The KK I have for Tiny Tina and would be getting for Patriot is 3 gallons, just so you know, if it's necessary information. If I do plant it, how will I grow them? I only have a desk lamp to light the tank. Is there a special kind of bulb I should get, or what?

I feel bad for having to downgrade Patriot, but I don't have anyone to take care of him while I'm gone, and I'd really rather not have to find a new home for him. I think he'd still be better off with me, even if he may not be quite as happy in a smaller tank.

I think once I get out of college, I'll still set up a 10 gallon for Tina and Patriot. My dad should be giving me a 50 gallon which I plan to use for a sorority too, once I'm done with school.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #24 
AyalaCookiejar

You don't need a filter. They might actually like it better if they didn't have one. The plants will act as a filter and still make water changes easier because you will never have to do 100%s. you'll want to find fluorescent lights that are 6500k (kelvins) and get 2 watts per gallon.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #25 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
You don't need a filter. They might actually like it better if they didn't have one. The plants will act as a filter and still make water changes easier because you will never have to do 100%s. you'll want to find fluorescent lights that are 6500k (kelvins) and get 2 watts per gallon.
Oh, awesome. That'll definitely be good then. Is it okay if it's more than just 2 watts per gallon? I doubt I'm going to be able to find a light bulb that is only 6 watts.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

Probably... With a lot of extra light, you might experience algae growth, so you'd need fast growing floating or stem plants to combat it or to adjust the amount of time the light is on.. possibly. Algae isn't harmful, though, just ugly.

You'll need to set a certain time to turn the lights on and off every day and stick to that schedule. If you can't stick to a schedule, I would highly recommend getting a light timer. I have four of my tanks hooked up to one timer.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #27 
Bombalurina

Lol, I can't seem to find a light here that is *more* than 6 watts. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #28 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Probably... With a lot of extra light, you might experience algae growth, so you'd need fast growing floating or stem plants to combat it or to adjust the amount of time the light is on.. possibly. Algae isn't harmful, though, just ugly.

You'll need to set a certain time to turn the lights on and off every day and stick to that schedule. If you can't stick to a schedule, I would highly recommend getting a light timer. I have four of my tanks hooked up to one timer.
If algae becomes a problem, I might try a few shrimp again, or maybe a nerite snail, if I can find one. My fish already have schedules as far as lights go, so it's not hard to keep up with. The lights go out when I go to sleep and the lights go on when I wake up. The times are generally the same or close to the same, but since I'm currently not in school, I don't really have a real schedule. When I go to college, I will, so the lights will be on almost all day, until nighttime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Lol, I can't seem to find a light here that is *more* than 6 watts. :p
Where do you find them? I was trying to find some that were 6400k, but I can't find any that would work with my lamp. I have a clip on desk lamp that I use and it lights up the KK just fine. When Tiny Tina was in the KK before I got her the new tank she's in, I had the lamp clipped onto my window sill above her KK and I could see everything in the tank and I used it as a light for myself too, since it was more than bright enough.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

Assuming that you don't sleep for 12 hours a day, you're leaving the lights on too long. 8-12 hours is max for how long the lights should be on. You will definitely grow algae if there's more than that and the fish probably aren't getting enough rest.

I didn't recommend shrimp or snails because of the size of the tanks. 5 is usually minimum for a shrimp or snail tankmate... However if the tanks are super heavily planted with nothing but thriving, fast growing plants, it may work (or if you do extra water changes). I just don't recommend it, since there are other ways to combat algae that don't add to the bio-load.

Edit: also, I'd go to a hardware store with a huge lighting section. I have the hardest time finding bulbs that will not only fit my light fixtures, but are also 6500k... Most are like 3100k, even the ones that are special "plant and aquarium" bulbs. Don't assume that they are 6500k if they say that! Many of them don't have a k temp on the box, which is also annoying, and probably means that they aren't near 6500 (IME).

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 03-04-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #30 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Assuming that you don't sleep for 12 hours a day, you're leaving the lights on too long. 8-12 hours is max for how long the lights should be on. You will definitely grow algae if there's more than that and the fish probably aren't getting enough rest.

I didn't recommend shrimp or snails because of the size of the tanks. 5 is usually minimum for a shrimp or snail tankmate... However if the tanks are super heavily planted with nothing but thriving, fast growing plants, it may work (or if you do extra water changes). I just don't recommend it, since there are other ways to combat algae that don't add to the bio-load.

Edit: also, I'd go to a hardware store with a huge lighting section. I have the hardest time finding bulbs that will not only fit my light fixtures, but are also 6500k... Most are like 3100k, even the ones that are special "plant and aquarium" bulbs. Don't assume that they are 6500k if they say that! Many of them don't have a k temp on the box, which is also annoying, and probably means that they aren't near 6500 (IME).
I'll start turning the lights off around 8 pm. Would it be okay if I keep the lights on while I'm in the room, but say I leave for class and turn them off for about 4 hours, and turn them on again when I get back? If not, I'll just turn them off at 8, but I like having the lights on while I'm in the room. If I can turn them off and let them rest while I'm not home or at class, that would be best.

Okay. I just figured it might help, but I don't really want to add any shrimp or snails anyway. My girl is really territorial and had the last shrimp I gave her as a snack instead of a cleaning buddy.

I'll try to find some. I have until August to find lights and plants, though I'd like to have it all set up before I have to go to college. I could just lower the water level, put my fish in their cups in my cupholders, and but the lowered water level tanks in my trunk. It's only a 2 hour drive, and it's in the summer, so I'm sure they'll stay plenty warm back there. Then when I get there, I can set them up and acclimate my fish into the tanks.

I would like some more recommendations on fast growing, low maintenance plants for beginners. My tanks are 3 gallon KKs. I'd definitely like something that's easy to keep, so my fish will be able to actually keep the plants in their tanks so I don't have to revert back to silk plants.

Also, how much would you recommend I do water changes? It would be a 3 gallon unfiltered, heated KK with just the fish and live plants. I'm sure if the plants suck up all the debris from the fish, I won't need to siphon anymore, but I'm sure I would still need to do water changes to get rid of the ammonia as it builds up. How often and how much should I change the water?