Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Does anyone...

ever find themselves getting emotionally attached to the fish they have bred?

Most of my fish take at least six-eight months to reach adult size, and in the past I only ever successfully raised small numbers of fry to adulthood. Therefore, I have only had to sell a couple of bunches of fry. The rest I kept.

Well I recently grew out my largest spawn to date, which left me with 25 sub-adults. These are of a rare species and one I intend on working with, so I am keeping them all.

However, due to me perfecting my fry raising skills, I now have another couple of hundred fry growing out in my tanks that are going to be ready to sell near the end of the year.

I know I do not have room for more than a 3-4 of pairs of each species, and yet I end up getting so attached to my fry that I find it really hard to let them go. This happens even with the species I don't even really like!

I just worry so much about what kind of home they are going to find if I just sell them or trade them in at a store. A lot of people don't have a clue when it comes to wild bettas, and the market is small here so it is difficult to find appropriate homes for them all.

I love knowing my fish are happy and comfortable enough to regularly spawn, and I love watching my fry grow and learn. It's just that I have a feeling my whole fish room is going to be all these tanks holding adults I bred and couldn't part with haha.

Anyone else feel a twinge of sadness when it comes time to letting go, and anyone else worry about where the fish they have bred might end up?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm... I dunno... but definitely sell them at a high price. as those who can afford their value are more likely to know what they're buying and how to care for them... or atleast invest in the means to...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

The difficulty is there is only a very small pool of hobbyists who actually keep the species I do. I also don't ship fish so I am essentially limited to buyers in my state.

The only choice I have, is to try and trade them in at one of the fish stores I frequent. Out of the three, there is only one I would feel comfortable handing my fish over to. They have very good set-ups (you can't just chuck a wild into the average fish store display tank), and aren't just out to make a quick buck at the expense of the fish.

It's annoying as wild bettas just don't seem to have the following that splendens do. Don't understand why, but I guess all breeders of slightly rare/uncommon fish must face this same dilemma.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #4 
Myates

I would love to have the species you do, going to work with a group hopefully this summer in a breeding program for Mahachai as they are getting low in numbers in the wild. I just love the wild species, just not ready to switch from the splendens just yet.

I look at the fry, talk to them.. some you just can't part with :( If I had the extra money, I'd rent a couple townhouses next door to each other, one would hold all things fish and the other I would live in :P Then I would have tons of room!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah someone from Malaysia said that one of the populations of my Betta persephone are now extinct in the wild. Pretty sure mahachai are basically extinct. I think their habitat is salt pans or something now.

I definitely have favourites. I have these big fry that managed to escape capture growing up with their parents and they are staying here no matter what.

I often wonder about other breeders in regards to selling their fish. There are members on this forum and people who I have met that I would never sell anything to.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I try not to but sometimes I do get attached. I just can't help it. But letting them go is a must.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #7 
louisvillelady

LBF, I too get very attached to my fry. For me, it seems to be easier for me when I have a large spawn. The individuals somehow lose their identity with me and become a "group" which seems to be easier for me to let go of. I'm not sure why that is. When I first started breeding bettas (I had been breeding other fish, angels, rosey barbs bristle nose plecos, and more) I found them, and the angels to be the hardest to let go of. I think it goes back to that group thing I was talking about, and bettas have such personality and intelligence. Within a year, I had my fishroom creeping into the rest of my house. One day I came home and took a look around and thought, WHAT AM I DOING!! lol While I loved and knew each individual fish and their quirks, and took very good care of them, they each deserved to be the special one in someones life and not have to share they keeper with so many. It was so hard to cut back. And one little girl, a camo that was no where near breeding quality, I HAD TO keep. She was my baby! I even taught her to jump out of the water to get a brine shrimp or other treat that was on the tip of my finger. She reminded me of a dog. I swear she would have followed me around the house if she could. She lived 7 years and I bald like a baby when she passed.

Just a suggestion you might try. Write up some information sheets, and print them off at the library. I'm in KY and here, you can print like 25 free every day. Hopefully your library offers the same benefit. Print up extras and make it a deal with the petstores that they give one with every one of your fish that they sell. You could also print up extras and have them display them for people to pick regardless of if they buy one of your fish. This would also possibly start and interest in your fish and create more of a market. This may give you some peace of mind knowing that the owners have the information that you know to be so important for this type of fish.

Its nice to know I'm not the only one who loves my fish this much. We had an ice storm here a few years back, and I had no electricity for 10 days. Most of Louisville was without electricity, and I was fortunate that I had an aunt and a cousin who still had their electric on. My son, who was 18 at the time, went to stay with my cousin, and she actually got upset with me because I couldn't leave my fish. She just didn't get it. I was able to save every single one of them! luckily I did not have a spawn at the time. I do not believe I would have been able to keep them alive. Some people think we are nuts, they just don't know what they are missing!
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Fortunately for me, the species I keep can be housed together in pairs and groups with only minimal fighting. So it makes it a lot easier to have a larger number of fish versus if I had to have them all in individual set-ups.

I've been there and done that with splendens and it just burned me right out. I have the utmost respect for breeders who spawn and house large numbers of splendens and fry. I find it hard some days to motivate myself enough to go clean out and fill up my one BBS hatchery!

Luckily I have quite a long while to think about things before my fish will be at the size I deem big enough to sell. The downside is that gives me a lot more time to get attached to them haha.

The workers at the aquarium I may be sending my fish to, aren't the type to sell a goldfish with a 1L bowl to a customer. They already have some quite unusual/rare species in stock so I am confident my fish would be well looked after. One of the workers also knows me, so I would probably just pass on either my blog which contains a lot of information about these species or a hotmail address any customers with questions can contact me on.

I try my best to flog the beauty of these little fish online and in real life. I think they are not as popular because they do require extremely soft water and can be frustratingly elusive in the tank. They can be a hard sell, even to splendens people, as they usually want a friendly, flashy fish.