Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #11 
sid9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I use filter foam. It has a little bit larger holes so the water flows through it easier, but it works and I just stuck it in my filter near the outflow because I have an internal filter. I think the brand is fluval and you can get it at petsmart or Petco. They also have large pieces of filter sponge that need to be cut down, but if you have one of those carbon cartridges, I think its better to replace them with sponge or foam and also add more sponge or foam if there is room because more space for BB to grow is always good..

Edit: I also wouldn't turn the filter on and off if he's having a tantrum, because you'll just cause ammonia spikes by doing that.
Thank you- I think I'll give the large pieces (cut down to size) a try.
sid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Also i would do more water changes for 4 gall along with gravel vacuum and filter media rinsing in the old water WITH a water change.
I am going to give you a few links about water changes while you cycle your tank check them out.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #13 
ILo

I think I used the same foam you mentioned its working great and I added a hornwort plant that also helps. I only turn off filter when I feed him so he can catch the food. But that's only a minute. But he is still swimming back and forth. I think he does it mostly when he can see me. Could he be doing it for attention?
ILo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #14 
Sugarbeet

He might be begging. I've only had Magnus about three weeks, but I notice he "dances" back and forth across the front glass when I (source of all pellets and treats) come into the room. He doesn't react nearly as much to my boyfriend, who doesn't feed him. ;)
Sugarbeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #15 
ILo

Yeah. I thought it could be begging. It's supposed to be calming watching fish swim but he just stressing me out watching him swim back and forth. :)
ILo is offline   Reply With Quote