Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 
alexlauren

Clamped Fins!

Hi everyone! Iíve had my blue betta, Picasso, for about 1 month. Long story short, my cousin was given a betta for his birthday but he didnít want it, so I agreed to take him. (Iíve posted on here before about a non-fuzzy, scaly white spot on his head and we concluded that it was an injury where his scales had gotten scraped off somehow.) I quickly got him into a 2 gallon tank, complete with a filter and heater, and assessed his health again.

What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your take have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet 3 times per day
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No
How has your betta fishís appearance changed? Clamping fins, tiny black spots
How has your betta fishís behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This week
Have you started treating your fish? Not for these symptoms (yet)

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He came to me sick.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.

When I got Picasso, I was worried that he might have fin rot because his coloring was dull, his pelvic fins were virtually nonexistent, and the edges of his dorsal, caudal, and anal fins seemed to be growing slightly more transparent by the day. I treated him with 1 round (4 doses) of Tetracycline and noticed substantial growth of his pelvic fins and greatly improved coloring as a whole in the few days following the treatment. The edges of his dorsal, caudal, and anal fins showed no change, but havenít gotten worse. He eats great, seems happy, energetic, and social like usual, and seems to enjoy his new tank and live aquatic plants.

However, now, a few days after the treatment, his dorsal, caudal, and anal fins are clamping up. Iíve been watching them the past few days and itís been slowly increasing. What could be causing this? Is his tank too cold (Iíve tried two different heaters but am open to trying another if 76-78 is too cold)? Does he still have fin rot? Does he have some other disease like velvet (I shone a flashlight on him and his scales do look golden but Iím not really sure what to look for and he has no other symptoms as far as I can tell)? Additionally, tiny black spots (the size of grains of sand but not raised at all as far as I can see) have appeared on his fins and back.

Does my fish have every single disease that there is or am I just a paranoid fish owner? Please help?

In the first picture you can see the clamped dorsal fin, and the second picture shows the black spots on his anal fin.

Thank you!
Attached Images

alexlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #2 
callistra

The hammock has metal. Did you remove it?

Your new tank is undergoing a cycling process and you're not doing enough water changes..

Cycling takes up to 2 months and during this time you should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time either show up. In addition to this a regular 50% weekly change with siphon is needed. First you will see ammonia spike, then you will see nitrites. Eventually, even after a week of no water changes ammonia will stay at 0, then finally nitrites. At this point you should be left with only nitrates, which should be kept <20ppm and the lower the betta by the once weekly change with siphon.

The plants will help but it's not a replacement for changes and monitoring.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Hmmmm this one is a toughy. Mainly because I understand how hard heating a 2 gallon can be. Have you tried zoomed's under gravel heater? I find it works best with a plastic tank, if that's what your have.

As far as clamping, he really just looks lethargic from being cold. As long as he's eating normally and isn't having issues swimming, he should be okay. Though I would focus on ways to get his heat turned up.

I would suggest covering the tank with a towel or jacket...even a scarf. When I didn't have a heater for one of my tanks, I used a jacket and scarf for a couple of days. This managed to keep the water tamp at 79*F (miracle!!!).

White or clear edges on the fins (especially after a case of fin rot) is often a sign of regrowth.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Thanks callistra, I wanted to say something about that but I forgot. Thank goodness they have you to monitor. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #5 
alexlauren

Thanks for the replies!

Callistra - I did remove the metal from the hammock, before I ever put it in the tank. Didn't know all that about water changes, so I'll get a test kit tomorrow and work on that.

Hadoken Kitty - I was using a 7.5W (2-5 gallon) "Slim Heater" before (an under-gravel heater), but that was only keeping the tank around 74. I guess I'll get a new stronger heater tomorrow. The tank is very thick glass though, not plastic, so it should hold heat well... And thank you for the information! He doesn't act lethargic - he swims all over the place and zooms to the top whenever he knows he's about to be fed, but I'll get his tank warmer and see how he looks after that. I put a scarf over it for tonight. :)
alexlauren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black spots, clamped fins, fin rot