Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1 
Jessica Rugg

Mercy Killing of a fish?

Hello there.

I've got a question from one of my friends who has a betta. The fish jumped out of the tank the other day and her roommate found it on the floor. The roommate thought it was dead, but put it back into the tank just in case it was still alive. It wasn't completely dead, apparently. They don't know how long it was out of the tank.

I visited my friend and noticed that the fish didn't seem himself. That's when I found out about what happened. He doesn't swim anymore, but he breathes and moves one fin. He just lays on one side. He can't seem to move, aside from struggled efforts that don't really go anywhere. My heart goes out to the poor guy and I don't know how to help him. Someone suggested to my friend that she kill it out of mercy so he doesn't suffer or starve to death. He's only been like this for a day or so, but we all are really worried about the little guy.

This might be a really weird question, but what would be a humane way to kill a betta? You can't really take it to the vet and have him put down. What would be recommended in this situation?

Kind regards,
-Jessica Rugg
Jessica Rugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #2 
Kithy

Most people say clove oil is the most humane way to do it. Generally you put them in a small container with tank water and slowly add it in.

Is he not eating at all? He might be able to make it, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will weigh in on other options if he still has a chance. Bettas can go two or three weeks without food though so he's not likely to starve.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

I had a fish make a bid for freedom, it took about 3-4 days for him to eat again.

I had to use the clove oil method for our female a few weeks ago. I prefer it over anything else. We overdosed by quite a bit too, just to make sure.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #4 
cnbufford

... I'd wait to see if he perks back up. Bettas are incredibly hardy fish; of this I attest. Add stress coat and aquarium salt to reduce the trauma and see what happens.
cnbufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #5 
tekkguy

I would not add aquarium salt. Make sure the water is very clean, and lower the water level to make it easier for him to surface for air. Cover the top of the tank with plastic cling wrap to keep in the humidity, and add stress coat to the water, then just give him time. Keep the water very very clean.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I would not add aquarium salt. Make sure the water is very clean, and lower the water level to make it easier for him to surface for air. Cover the top of the tank with plastic cling wrap to keep in the humidity, and add stress coat to the water, then just give him time. Keep the water very very clean.
+1 to this

stress coat would help, but in this case aquarium salt would do nothing. if you can get your hands on in dial almond leaves, indian almond leaf extract, of even any blackwater extract that would be even more helpful. If not, it won't be much of a big deal. As always, don't forget water conditioner and do twice weekly (two 50%) water changes. This way you don't mess with him too much, but you're still keeping his water fresher.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #7 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
+1 to this

stress coat would help, but in this case aquarium salt would do nothing. if you can get your hands on in dial almond leaves, indian almond leaf extract, of even any blackwater extract that would be even more helpful. If not, it won't be much of a big deal. As always, don't forget water conditioner and do twice weekly (two 50%) water changes. This way you don't mess with him too much, but you're still keeping his water fresher.
Yes! Oak leaves work also. In a pinch, let a tea bag sit in the water (organic if possible, and decaf green is good too) for a while. Not everyone has almond leaves or blackwater extract on hand.

Also if you do cover his tank with plastic wrap, and change water every other day as suggested, be sure to open the plastic wrap once a day briefly for air exchange.

He can very likely recover from this! Bettas are hardy little buggers!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Please don't kill him yet!!! It took my fish a good 3 or 4 days to recover from her 4 ft jump to a cold, hard floor and being out of the water for at least a half an hour (I know it was at least that long, but it could have been up to an hour or more). It then took her several months to grow her fins and tail back to their original length. This was at the end of September when she jumped, and now, you'd never even know that it happened.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #9 
paris38

It may sound bad but if you put him in a bag of his own tank water and put him in the freezer he will just go to sleep.My dad was told this by a scientist who studdied fish.I agree with the others though give him at least a day to see if he comes around.I am very sorry this happened.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #10 
callistra

I'd give him a chance..

Just look at this fish :http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=130442
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote