Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #1 
SupaTro0pa

Question Tail Ripping on Ends

Hey all,

I have been using this site for Betta information for quite some time now, and have finally joined the community with a question in mind.

A bit of preliminary information about my setup.

I have a male Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with two ghost shrimp (happily living together for about 3 weeks now). It has a whisper 3i filter, as well as a HT10 Tetra heater (which keeps it at a constant 76-78 degree temperature). It also has a silk plant in the background, a plastic plant up front, and a little circular cove that he loves to hide and sleep in. I do regular 50% water changes once a week, as well as keeping feeding to a minimum with 2-4 pellets everyday, with the occasional snack of 1-2 freeze dried blood worms.

I believe I already know the answer to the question, but a few extra opinions can never hurt. I have recently noticed my Betta's tails beginning to rip, between the spines, and there is no discoloration or hints at fin rot or other fungal/bacterial diseases. I believe the cause of this problem is the plastic plant, because as of recently I've noticed him hanging around it and swimming through it more often than he has in the past. I was planning on going to Petco (where I also work), and replacing the plastic plant for a couple smaller silk plants and see if that does the trick. I have been monitoring levels with the 5 in 1 test strips and everything is pretty much perfect as far as that test goes. I will also be purchasing the API liquid ammonia test kit, because it is definitely better to be safe than sorry on that account, especially with the tank about as stocked as it can get without being overcrowded.

I just wanted a second opinion and if anyone knows this to be a common cause. It isn't anything major, just the tips of his dorsal, caudal, and anal fins. Behavior is as normal as ever, always hungry for his daily feeding and constantly swimming around the tank like he owns the place. After all, he sure does.

Here is a link to the plant for anyone who needs a reference:
http://www.petco.com/product/113427/...Supplies_Decor
(it's the pink one on the left of the image)
SupaTro0pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #2 
SupaTro0pa

I'm also thinking that one of my ghost shrimp isn't really a ghost shrimp at all. It's about an inch long and its eyes are a bit further away from his head than the smaller ghost shrimp. He also has a black stripe that goes from his stomach to his tail that runs just above his sets of legs. Maybe he started getting aggressive towards my Betta?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

yeah... I recommend to remove the suspicious shrimp...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #4 
SupaTro0pa

Totally the culprit. Removed the shrimp and put him in a tiny travel tank. After looking at him under a light he had black in his stomach. The other ghost shrimp had pink from the food, meaning only one thing. My blue Betta with black tipped tail was mauled by this thing. I'm just going to keep him in the travel tank and see how long he goes in solitary, while still feeding and treating the water, etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #5 
SupaTro0pa

Here's a shot of him. Red dots on his tail and dark blue fin in his stomach.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol....
I cant tell XD he does look like a ghost shrimp. ghos shrimps usually have two bands on the antenna, two bands on the claws and two on the tail
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #7 
SupaTro0pa

It's the size that baffled me about him. He's as long as half my finger, over 2.5 inches. All I can say is that next to my smaller "real" ghost shrimp he is definitely not the same. His size and shape looks more like a bamboo shrimp, but his color looks ghost. Would it be possible for a bamboo and ghost to breed somehow? o.O