Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #1 
valen1014

Dry Start Method Take II

Well.. my first attempt was an epic failure. The plants just kind of... spoiled? turned brown and died. I'm think it was due to too much iron.

This is my second attempt at DSM. I put a little too much water, I think I will try tomorrow to pipette the extra out. *fingers crossed*
Attached Images

valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol... can you detail your DSM, substrate, lighting, amount of water and plant stocking?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #3 
valen1014

Yep!

Light: 12W daylight T4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Substrate: Fluorite
CO2: Will be DIY yeast method later when I switch to submerged
Root tabs: I bought them online a loooong time ago, I never wrote down what was in them sadly but they seem to have been working ^^;
Dry Ferts: I won't use them until submerged, I'm still trying to figure out dosing for 2.5 gallons. I have macros and micros as dry ferts.
Plants: Just dwarf hair grass for now. I plan on having fissiden fontanus on the driftwood, and riccia tied to the higher part of the driftwood to give it a "tree" effect later on... at least it's what I hope XD

I know the light is a bit much =[ But the lower wattage lamps were so much more expensive and I'm kinda broke XD The light seems to scatter actually, so it isn't as strong. I plan to fix the height and do other things if I start seeing trouble with algae.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

hair grass died on you? IME it's the easiest plant emmersed. when I grow hair grass, I dont even use a saran wrap cover. haha.
I suggest you mix your own liquid ferts from the dry ferts for dosing. makes it easier for small tanks.
You can dry start the fissidens and riccia. they root (yes riccia attatches!) when emmersed much more easily :P
uh... I dunno what you are talking about too much light... I use a 23w cfl on a 1 gallon.... soooo.... yeah. I wouldnt suggest fertilizing until the plants settle in. with flourite I wouldnt plant the DHG too deep, just enough to keep them upright :)
let me know how it goes! what were those stems you had before? usually for stems I cut them short or lay them horizontally..

edit:
oh isee the hair grass now... these will grow hugeeee. you might want to hunt down some dhg "Belem". either way... see how those leaves are stick together? you want to separate them so they dont rot...

When I put in too much water, I slowly tilt the tank a bit so the water collects on one corner and siphon it out with an airline

Last edited by ao; 03-03-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 
valen1014

oh thank you! That's really good advice. I had no idea riccia and fissiden fontanus could do that O.O

haha yeah my green thumb isn't all that green XD

When I got it, I was surprised too that they were so big! The seller said these were "dwarf hairgrass eleocharis" though. Someone told me that they grow taller emersed so I think that is why these look so tall.

Wait so... by "separate" you mean make the blades move outwards or pulling out the clump and breaking it apart?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
oh thank you! That's really good advice. I had no idea riccia and fissiden fontanus could do that O.O

haha yeah my green thumb isn't all that green XD

When I got it, I was surprised too that they were so big! The seller said these were "dwarf hairgrass eleocharis" though. Someone told me that they grow taller emersed so I think that is why these look so tall.

Wait so... by "separate" you mean make the blades move outwards or pulling out the clump and breaking it apart?
just move the blades so that they aren't stocking to each other. if you have a chance you should look for dhg "belem" it's the only HG that stays low
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #7 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
just move the blades so that they aren't stocking to each other. if you have a chance you should look for dhg "belem" it's the only HG that stays low
Ok! I will do that =] I have a 20 gal long that I can transfer them to when I get my hands on the dhg belem.