Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #1 
Tormented

Dream was finally came true!

Okay so I have been looking for a part orange or all orange male betta for a while. I guess if I had the money I could have just got one off of aquabid from a breeder. But I don't have that money, so I have just been looking at local chain and independent stores for one.

While at Petco with my mom, I found this guy!

Lucky me, I have read that a lot of males you get at petco and such are older. But he is smaller than opal, so I am thinking he isn't full grown, its not like opal is a giant betta.

They each have their own Jar, not like a canning jar. My orange boy has a big Vlasic Pickle jar, Opal have a Pickled Okra Jar and so does Dori. Jars aren't Ideal, but thats what they have until I can get them their own tank. In each of their jars is a plastic plant that has been in my/mybrothers tanks for over atleast 6 months, so they are bound to have beneficial bacteria. They eat have like 3 small mystery snails, and have a piece of java fern. They are all in the window :3

Last edited by Tormented; 03-03-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Tormented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #2 
registereduser

The jars are definitely a step up from the cups they came in! Just one thing, snails poop A LOT and the ammonia levels in the jars might spike fast so keep an eye on that and change water as soon as you see ammonia going up or put all the snails in their own jar until you get the tanks set up. Sure are some nice fish you have, I passed up an orange awhile ago and still regret it.

Oh, and get a thermometer to check the temps cuz if they are in the window the sun can cook them!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 
shellieca

He's pretty. So, now I'm going to lecture just a little. I'm sure you're doing frequent water changes but how frequent & what size (%)? Being in front of a window with no heater means their water temps are probably pretty cold & I don't see any thermometers for you to monitor the temps, chances are the water temps are high 60's or low 70's, eventually your Bettas will have problems. As for the mystery snails, they need to have at least 2g PER snail, so 3 in each jar is asking for trouble. I would add more decor for them to hide in or behind. I'm done, do what you want with the info. I hope they live long happy healthy lives.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #4 
Tormented

Their jars get direct sun only in the morning from like 8 am to 2 pm, which I guess is a lot. But the lowest their jars get is about 72 F, that's what it is in the house.

Yea I know the mystery snails create a lot of waste/ammonia. I actually just got done doing a water change for Opal and Dori. My orange dude just got in his jar this morning.

How are pond snails for eating algae? I have some, but the reason I put the mysteries in is because of algae.

The reasons I have a lot of mysteries is because some how after falling into the water they hatched the next day. *head desk*

Edit: Water changes are about every 3-4 days for the jars, and I change them about 75%.

Last edited by Tormented; 03-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Tormented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #5 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormented View Post
Their jars get direct sun only in the morning from like 8 am to 2 pm, which I guess is a lot. But the lowest their jars get is about 72 F, that's what it is in the house.
Water temp needs to be at a minimum 76F.

Yea I know the mystery snails create a lot of waste/ammonia. I actually just got done doing a water change for Opal and Dori. My orange dude just got in his jar this morning.
I'd get rid of the snails.

How are pond snails for eating algae? I have some, but the reason I put the mysteries in is because of algae.
You have algae probably because the jars are in the sun, pond snails reproduce hugely so you'd have a population explosion. Not a good idea with your current set up.

The reasons I have a lot of mysteries is because some how after falling into the water they hatched the next day. *head desk*
This doesn't make sense but ok.

Edit: Water changes are about every 3-4 days for the jars, and I change them about 75%.
I'd get a liquid ammonia test kit & test the water out of curiosity, my 2.5g with 1 male Betta gets to .25 ammonia in about 5 days, so I'd imagine yours would be higher, but I could be wrong..
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #6 
MoonShadow

Your new boy is just lovely!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormented View Post
Bettas really need consistent temperatures between 78 and 82 degrees. By not having a thermometer not only is the water too cold but the temperatures of the water will fluctuate throughout the day, this fluctuating of temperature is very stressful for the fish. Low temperatures not only cause stress, but also cause lethargy and can suppress the immune system opening up the fish to more severe illnesses. If your house temperature is at 72 degrees, the temperature of the water can fluctuate between 3 degrees above or below the temperature of the room!

Quote:
What size are those jars? My guess is a gallon or less. With the fish and the snails, I think you need to do much more frequent water changes then that.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #7 
trilobite

Are the jars cycled? Otherwise it will boost up ammonia and nitrites which will poison them slowly. Plus their water is too cold, Bettas prefer warmer temperature than most other tropical fish.

What you could do is get a cheap platic tub, fill it with water, put in a heater and then put the jars in the tub. This will keep the jar water nice and warm for them.
You could even put the snails in the tub so they dont add ammonia to the jars.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #8 
LaLaLeyla

There's always some debate with the snails. Some people say they create alot of ammonia and others say they produce little to no bioload at all.
Personally I would keep them in but thats just me
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #9 
LinkLover

I can say from personal experience that Mystery Snails produce a TON of waste. This may not be true for all species of snail, but my fiance had a Mystery Snail only tank, and it seemed like the water got dirty the second you were done cleaning it. As I said, I'm sure other types of snails have different bioloads, but these guys definitely make quite the mess. So I would also recommend moving the snails into a different tank (keeping in mind they need 2.5 gallons per snail), as three is way too many for that amount of space. Another thing about the Mystery Snails is that without a lid on their tank, they will escape and could possibly die if they aren't found soon enough. My fiance forgot to put the lid back on his tank for one night, and in the morning we found a snail on the floor under his dresser. Thankfully she was ok, and we certainly made sure to always close the lid after that. Just some things to keep in mind. :)
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote