Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #1 
nicachu

Lost a betta, worried about shared water

Hey guys,

I lost a betta on Friday and I'm worried about my other betta who shared water with him. Specs of tank are: 6.6 gallons, heater/filter. Space is split equally with DIY mesh wall.

My boy betta had been healthy for his whole 2 yr life, living some of that in a "medium" bowl, before I knew better/had money for maintaining a tank. Last Wednesday he started losing color and was listless. Thursday, he was very pale, lethargic, and had cloudy eyes. I quarantined him in a small bowl with a 50% water change it. He laid on the bottom and struggled to breath until he passed away sometime on Friday. I had treated his water with Melafix, but it didn't seem to help, or it was too late.

Can anyone advise how to proceed? I quarantined my girl betta in a different bowl, (with 50% water change) and have that floating in the tank, to maintain water temp for her. I don't know how extreme to clean the tank before putting her back in, but was planning on at LEAST doing a full water change, boiling the gravel, and (properly) bleach cleaning the plastic plants.
IF I do this, would I need to recycle the tank?

Also, I had some concerns that it was TB with my boy, but after scouring the internet, I can't be sure.

Thanks for all your help!
nicachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry you lost your boy. At this point she's already been exposed to whatever it was so if it were contagious she'd already have it, IMO. Your tank would recycle if you thoroughly clean everything as you have described & I would imagine you would also do the same type cleaning of the filter & change out the media so you would have no BB left.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 
callistra

You had 3 bettas in a 6.6g? Overcrowded, imho.. that aside, more info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You had 3 bettas in a 6.6g? Overcrowded, imho.. that aside, more info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

I think there were only 2 in the tank, and the OP took the female out and put her in a bowl, which would mean there are no fish in the tank at the moment.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #5 
nicachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Just two betas, thanks.

I appreciate your support, shellieca.

I'll fill out the details when I'm home from work.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #6 
nicachu

Details

*Yes, no fish in the tank right now. My girl betta is in a bowl, trying to limit how long she stays there.

Housing
What size is your tank? 6.6 gal
What temperature is your tank? The appropriate range, it's heated.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? (Lived) with one other betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta bio-gold pellets and occasionally freeze dried brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? One daily (2-3 pellets)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% every 2-3 weeks
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: safe
Nitrite: safe
Nitrate: safe
pH: a little high
Hardness: safe
Alkalinity: safe

Symptoms and Treatment (Before he died):
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Loss of color, cloudy eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic/weak/struggling to breathe
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Wednesday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Melafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 yr

Last edited by nicachu; 03-03-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Add an answer
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #7 
callistra

Melafix needs to be discontinued. It contains an ingredient that can coat their labyrinth organ and cause them to suffocate.. the fact that your betta is struggling to breathe now may be because of this.

It's very important not to assume your heater is working.. keeping an appropriate temp without fluctuations. You need an in tank thermometer to monitor. It does not appear you have one from your info..

Your water change routine needs a lot of changes. You should be doing a minimum of 50% weekly with siphon to clean the gravel. This is for a fully established tank.

Cycling takes up to 2 months and during this time you should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time either show up. In addition to this a regular 50% weekly change with siphon is needed. First you will see ammonia spike, then you will see nitrites. Eventually, even after a week of no water changes ammonia will stay at 0, then finally nitrites. At this point you should be left with only nitrates, which should be kept <20ppm and the lower the betta by a weekly 50% change with siphon.

Also if you change all the media in your filter at once, that will restart your cycle, so you should only change one media per month.

I don't know what you're using to test your water parameters, but it is failing you. The reason your other betta died was chronically poor water conditions and possibly inappropriate temperature.

At this point I would do a series of 3 50% changes, an hour apart. Keeping up on water quality at this point is imperative. If you want to treat with meds, ideally you should treat in a separate tank because the meds will toast your cycle and you will need to start over. I suggest Kanaplex, Triple Sulfa, or Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo for 1-2 weeks.

Otherwise you can try Aquarium Salt. You need to predissolve 1 tsp per gallon of water in your tank. You only need to add more salt along with a water change, and only add as much salt as water you change. You can do this for 10 days

All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.

Last edited by callistra; 03-03-2013 at 09:25 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #8 
nicachu

My fish already had already passed away, but thanks for the advice on Melafix. I'll keep that in mind.

I do have a thermometer; I check it daily, and the heater was working in a safe range.

Thanks for the water change advice.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words & sympathy. Here's to learning.

Tags
cleaning, death