Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #1 
percyfyshshelley

Hello! From Canada.

Hi! Been lurking for a while and finally joined a few days ago. I have learned so much from this forum and I love being part of a community that cares so much about fish and animals.
Here's my story... So I'm new to bettas. I got my first betta, Jacques Cousteau, about a year ago. Sadly, he succumbed to dropsy after about six months. I think I did everything right.... I still blame myself though. Wish I had know about this forum back then.
Well, his 4 gal tank still had live plants in it, so I just kept it running, topping it off as needed but not adding due chlorinate or checking water parameters or anything like that. I planned to get another fish eventually. Well, I went away for a week and had a friend (who has fish herself) taking care of my bunny rabbit, Snow. She thought it would be nice to buy me a new betta and when I came home there was Posiden, a blue CT, in the tank! I was a little horrified as the water had not been conditioned and I had no idea what the parameters were, but he seemed fine. Sigh. Hopefully most of the chlorine had dissipated over time before he was put in there. I did take him out and recycled the tank so all is good now.
Well, over the next few months I made several trips to various pet stores to get supplies, and found myself leaving with a fish most times. I gather from this forum that I am not the only one who this happens to. Now I have 10.
Oh, have I mentioned I'm single and have no children? Lol.
Well here the are, I love each and every one of them. (I may not have all the colors right but this is what I think they are.) All tanks have heaters and thermometers. I do regular water changes on the uncylced ones. I am not doing any fish-in cycles.

Posiden (blue CT) The one my friend got me that started this downward spiral. 4 gal planted and cycled.

Phanumus (means "sun" in Thai, yellow VT) 4 gal cycled & planted

Dragon (red and blue HM) 5.5 gal fluval spec, cycled and planted, with two ghost shrimp

Lord Cinnabar (bronze and red rose tail) 5 gal cycled and planted

Zen (mustard gas? VT) uncycled 2.5 gal. The most un-Zen fish ever! Tail bites, tries to jump out (his tank does have a lid). I am working on a better home for him to see if it helps.

Ziggy Startdust (red and blue CT) just about to be moved to an 8 gal planted Fluval Ebi, as soon as I make sure it's fully cycled

Aurora (turquoise big ear) 5 gal cycled fluval chi

Gaer Braig (named by a forum member, elvish for "fierce copper", a copper doublet tail) 2 gal uncylced,was in a fluval chi but didn't like the slight current, so he will probably go into a ten gal planted that I am currently cycling.

Big sigh. Then I was going to stop, but of course I had to rescue two that were lying motionless in the bottom of their cups. It looks like SBD. They are both in small critter keepers with a low water level and plants to rest on. The KKs are half submerged in a larger tank without fish that has a heater, so that the water stays warm. Endymion is a cellophane double tail, and after two weeks he is swimming almost normally. Pegusus is a marble, I think, also a double tail. He's still struggling but doing better. Obviously they will be going into bigger tanks when they are better.

I am now going to only buy supplies online, or shop with a friend that will not enable me, or go to stores that do not sell bettas. I am out of surface areas on which to put tanks! Not to mention $ lol.

Well, this got long.... I also have two rottie mixes, Bonnie and Blossom, and a rabbit as I mentioned.

I had goldfish many years ago. They outgrew their tank so i dug them a pond, then they were rehomed to a huge beautiful koi pond when I moved to Alaska.

I'm American but I currently live in Alberta, Canada. Just sitting here on a Sunday afternoon with my puppies watching the snow fall!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hi! I'm in Alberta (Edmonton) as well. Where are you?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 
percyfyshshelley

Hi! I'm down south in Fort Macleod, near lethbridge. Is it snowing up there?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 
Naldari

Welcome to the community! I'm new too, reading all the intro posts. lol! Snowing here in PA too.
Naldari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 
percyfyshshelley

I think it's snowing everywhere lol. Where are you in penn? I was born in Pittsburgh.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping and boy did you jump in with both feet...lol.....

Nice to meet you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Lol it's always snowing up here! Sena hansler, logisticsguy, beautifulbetta123, sryyven and I are all Albertans. Nice strong betta community up here.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 
popcorndeer

iam in canada too
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #9 
percyfyshshelley

Hello fellow Canadians! Oops, I guess I'm not actually Canadian, but I've been here 4 years and I love Canada. Popcorn, you're in NS right? I'd love to go there sometime. Nice to see all you Albertans. Maybe long winters make us want to stay indoors and keep fish eh? I havent kept bettas before but i did have goldfish and koi and i eorked at a koi pond place many years ago. I did kind of jump into bettas with both feet, but I tend to do that lol. I'm also really into gardening, and I found I am really getting into the plant aspect of things as well. I also like decorating and rearranging my house, so the aqariums sort of combine gardening, decorating, amd my passion for animals, on a small, manageable scale! Like im the ruler of all these little kingdoms muhahaha. lol ok I think I'm losing it what can I say there is a wicked storm going on outside and I'm getting a little stir crazy.....
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #10 
popcorndeer

there are lots of deer here its nice
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote