Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1 
BettaGurl79

Question Bloat or something worse ?

Flotsom is having issues swimming and his tummy is severly round. When I left for work this morning he was fine. When I came home from work I noticed my poor boy is having issues swimming down to the bottom of the tank and he looks like he ate a massive meal, despite only having 3 pellets this morning. I've attached some pictures sorry they are not the best quality. I don't see any pineconed scales thank god, But a second or third opinion would be nice. Also I know about fasting for Bloat/Swimbladder..but should I treat with epsom salts as well?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New life spectrum betta bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets 2 x daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30 - 50%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime or ApI stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
all params are safe
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Puffy middle
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's having issues swimming to the bottom of the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? a year or so
Attached Images

BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #2 
BettaGurl79

Bump .
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #3 
callistra

I would start on the epsom salts you mentioned 1 tsp per gallon predissolved. And fast the next 3 days to a week. See what his poop looks like as he may need meds.

How long has this tank been set up?

Do you use a siphon or take water off the top with a change?

What filter are you using and how do you maintain it?

Do you not have a way to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #4 
BettaGurl79

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post

How long has this tank been set up?

Do you use a siphon or take water off the top with a change?

What filter are you using and how do you maintain it?

Do you not have a way to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
The tank has been setup since January. water changes are done as water Params indicate. I test every 3 days to ensure healthy water quality. I was planning my weekly change for tonight. But now I am unsure if I should stress him. Ammonia and Nitrates at 0 currently.

I have a syphon and stir the bottom each water change.

I am using a carbon filter right now. I change the cartridge every six weeks but have had filter sponges in for a week now as well so eventually the Bb will adhere to them and I can ommit the cartridge and have a fully cycled tank and add IAL to the water for their tannins.

Last edited by BettaGurl79; 03-11-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 
callistra

So it's been cycling.. I would actually be testing daily for ammonia and nitrItes. Any time you see as little as .25ppm of either it would need an extra 50% change. The nitrAtes are the end of the cycle and they won't be a concern so long as you keep up on the ammonia and nitrites during cycling.

Carbon needs to be changed every 1 week to 1 month, depending on the carbon - manufacturer should say. It's good you've got some sponges going. They may take up to a month to fully establish.

It sounds like overall things are pretty good.. just be more careful about the changes and be watching nitrItes instead of NitrAtes, but hopefully he just needs some time for his stomach to catch up. I would also suggest adding in one regular fast day a week once he stops being constipated.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #6 
BettaGurl79

Thanks CAllistra. I have the future hubby enroute to Cvs for pure empsom salts. 1 tsp per gallon .

I will up the tests to daily until I have a true cycle established and keep an eye on his bowel movements. Right now the poor thing seems more perplexed on why he can't stay at the bottom of the tank. He keeps trying to swim down to his terracotta cove and having to give up. I'll keep you posted =)

Last edited by BettaGurl79; 03-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #7 
BettaGurl79

Flotsom seems to be swimming normally today. His Poop is it's normal brown coloring. I am going to continue his fast into today. I will post more pictures after work.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #8 
BettaGurl79

All Better =)

Wow in less than 24 hours, my boy is back to his normal happy self. Epsom salts are a small miracle!

Callistra, Thanks so much for your expertise! I will continue a fast until tomorrow just to make sure .
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #9 
mmeadows

Hey there!

So glad to hear your lil' guy is doing better. I had the same issue with my Betta, Chopstick a few weeks ago. I fasted him for about 3 days and on the 4th day I took a frozen pea (plain) and placed it in some of his water in tupperware and heated it in the microwave. I took the skin off the pea and took a little slice and fed it to him, which he ate quickly. That will also help with a bowel movement.

I was giving my fish up to 3 pellets twice a day and noticed that it was too much for my betta. It's best to have a slightly hungry Betta than a constipated one. :(

I would try changing up his diet as well instead of just pellets. I also learned online that fasting for one day and giving a small portion of a frozen pea (method I explained above) is good for a weekly habit.

Glad your betta is doing better! :)
mmeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 
BettaGurl79

Thanks mmeadows! I'm going to revaluate his 6 daily pellet diet. I think perhaps 4 daily is a good compromise. I've been trying to introduce him to Frozen Blood worms and Daphina..But the poor thing really has no interest in them, despite me telling him how much he'll enjoy it. Maybe after a 48 hour fast he will be more receptive to them.

I've read varying opinions about the pea and would only use it in dire straits as it may ruin a Betta's digestive track over long periods of use.