Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 
MomaDragonfly

big rip in fin

This morning I noticed Firefly had a small hole near the edge of his fin and it has gotten much bigger throughput the day. I purchased aquarium salt but I'm not sure How to put it in. It's jungle brand. The directions say a tablespoon for every 5 gal. to promote healing... I've never used it before. Do you put it right into the tank after dissolving in water? How much water do you need to dissolve it? I did a 50% water change yesterday afternoon. I also managed two pics of the tear.
Attached Images

MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 
callistra

still haven't followed up here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=129936&page=3

Since your tank has been cycling, how have you been testing and doing extra changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #3 
MomaDragonfly

Callistra.. i don't understand what you mean by "still haven't follwed up here" One of my old threads comes up. I posted several more replies on that thread. And updates to it.

Yes, I have been testing and the amonia hasn't once been above .5 I was doing every other day and started every 3 days now since the levels weren't testing high. As of now, I only have a ph and amonia kit because no stores around me sell any other kits

And.. if your referring to filling out one of those forms.. I didn't think I needed to that just to ask how to add the aquarium salt.

Last edited by MomaDragonfly; 03-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #4 
callistra

I'm saying your thread from 5 days ago has unanswered questions and basically same advice applies.

.5 is too high. Like I said in your other thread, you need to be testing daily and doing extra 50% change any time you see as little as .25ppm ammonia or nitrite..

Might want to go back and reread.

Failing to do so will end up with your boy having fin rot.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #5 
MomaDragonfly

.05 sorry. I wrote it wrong. It barely reads as any amonia at all. I did read the posts and I do test everyday. I don't understand why you feel you need to even say this. My qusetion here has nothing to do with fin rot or tank levels... My question is on HOW to add the salt. Nothing more. Im sorry if you got offended I didn't follow your specific adivice. As it is my choice on whos advice I follow, and I don't mean any disrespect to you in saying this. But I feel you are being a little "snarky" when I have only asked a simple question and your replies have nothing to do it answering it.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi MomaDragonfly, got your message. Technically, you can add the salt straight to the tank but it's usually best to predissolve it in a bit of tank water first. It doesn't matter how much water so long as it is enough for the salt to dissolve. It can take a looooong time for the salt to dissolve thoroughly so you may want to dissolve it as much as you can stand and then pour it in the tank in a corner away from where your bettta is.

Just to reiterate, the dosage to treat possible external parasites is 3 tsps per gallon and increase the heat to 86 F. For a normal dose to treat wounds or fin damage, it's 1 tsp per gallon.

When you do water changes with AQ salt, it is important to never put in more salt than you take out. So, for instance you said you do 50% water changes? Then you would be removing roughly 2.5 gallons of water. If the dosage of salt you are using is 1 tsp per gallon, then you would fill the tank with 2.5 gallons of water and add back in 2 and a half tsps of salt, NOT 5 tsps.

The rip looks clean and it will probably heal within a few days with warm clean water and a high protein diet.

If you use the 3 tsps dosage, remove your live plants as they most likely will not surive the salt water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #7 
MomaDragonfly

Does the brand of the salt make a difference? Its jungle brand. I ask about the dosage because the pkg reads to use one tablespoon per 5 gal to promote healing. or use the 1 tsp per gal? Yes, I do 50% changes. Also, should the water be changed more often with the salt added. As of now its every 3 days until the tank is fully cycled.. which will be prolonged because I ordered the foam inserts for the filter you previously suggested and should be getting them next week. So, the cycle will be started again... or continued ... not sure which. How long should I use the salt to help his fin and how do you removed the salt when done treating with it? Thanks so much for getting back to me. I really apperciate it.

I know im a pest, im sorry!! But I apperciate your patience!!

Last edited by MomaDragonfly; 03-04-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #8 
Sakura8

I would go with the 1 tsp dose for now and the water doesn't need to be changed any more often. The brand doesn't matter. I've never used Jungle Labs salt but as long as it is non iodized, it should be just fine.

Use AQ salt for no more than 14 days max. In this case, you should be fine with a week. To remove it completely, do a 100% change.

Your cycle should be okay for now.

No, you're not a pest. :). I'm happy to help you out.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #9 
MomaDragonfly

Thank you!!!! Your truly wonderful.