Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #1 
bniebetta

Question Algae eater recommendations??

Ok. So I guess I should start by listing the details of my tank. It is a 20 gallon planted tank that will house my 9 females for a sorority, and two nerite snails. The nerites are doing great cleaning the non-plant surfaces, but since I just planted it and some of the plants have melted parts (you know, how they sort of die and then come back in the new environment) and the plant matter is now a stuck to the surfaces of the plants and looks like a mess.

I originally wanted to get an otto because they are supposedly really gentle on plants, but I guess they have to be kept in groups and I am worried about the bioload of the tank.

What do you think? Anyone keep just one otto? Any other tankmate suggestions for this task?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

As you have said, keeping one Otto will only stress him out and cause him to eventually die. I use Dwarf Corydoras (Corydoras Habrosus) and I love them. They are scavengers as well as mini algae eaters although they won't eat as much as a pleco/ottos or a snail. But what I like about them is that they only get to about an inch making them good for 20s and up. They are still very active swimmers so keeping them in a 10 is not recommended.

But my guys are also very gentle to my plants, I have never seen them try to destroy anything actually, and my plants have never been better. But this is just my experience.

You could also try different snails, I know Mysteries will eat other algae that Nerites won't and visa versa. But I have no experience with any other snail besides Mini Yellow Rabbit Snails which demolished my algae but prefer a higher pH level.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #3 
SDragon

Are there any algae eaters that can be in a ten gallon? There is one betta and two other fish either mollies or swordtails, or molly/swordtail crosses and a couple of snails.
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #4 
bniebetta

Do you think my giant would eat the dwarf cories? and how many of them have to be kept in one tank?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Probably not since you usually get them around 1/2 an inch. I would suggest 4-6 cories in there. If you use Aqadvisor.com it helps to give you a general idea of what you can squeeze into your tank :) Of course it doesn't give you things that can co-exist but it is helpful to tell you the water changes per week and stuff.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #6 
bniebetta

Duuuuude! That site is awesome thanks!!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You're welcome! I love using it to sketch out ideas for tanks and stuff, I know a lot of people don't like it because it doesn't tell you much about compatibility but I love it!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #8 
bniebetta

I hope you don't mind, but I think I am going to put it in a new thread just to share it with everyone. It's so cool haha
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Definitely, as long as you include that they still need to research their fish! It's good for sketching ideas for a tank but sometimes the fish you pick won't get along, hence you'll need the research :D

I always thought it was a great tool in conjunction with research.