Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #1 
Neeklette

Internal parasite?

My betta recently had a case of swim bladder. I left him for 3 days and raised the temp, he pooped so I fed him again but he bloated up again instantly. Since then he has been pooping stringy poops (white or food colored). Is this just the back up of food leaving him or could it be a parasite.

Will treating him for an internal parasite just encase do harm?
Sorry no pics, he had two long stringy poops but they all have fallen off with 24 hours.
Neeklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #2 
callistra

It could also be internal bacterial: More info please:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #3 
Neeklette

Housing
What size is your tank? 15 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 mystery snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes/pellets/blood worms (fresh or frozen)
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day 6/7

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week 20-50% change, 70-90% once a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator, AP stress coat, small ammount of aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
tested water last night all of the below were in the safe range (although I live in an area where water is extremely hard with high ph)
Ammonia: ammonia alert says normal
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated belly, his belly looks rounded on the side of his body not smooth, not bloated around the bottom (anus area) anymore after fasting him for a few days.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Darting a bit
When did you start noticing the symptoms? less than a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just fasting and raising the temp to about 78-80
Does your fish have any history of being ill? had fin rot in the past, not a problem any more
How old is your fish (approximately)? <1 year
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 
callistra

You feed live blood worms? Probably parasite infection.. never known a fish that got live bugs not to get it at least once in their lifetime.

However I would say cut the flakes and feed the pellets - two small meals a day - and the blood worms if you wish to feed you should feed no more than one once a week in replace of a pellet meal. In addition to this one fast day a week is needed. The pellet should have the first two or three ingredients as whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. The blood worms are very high in fat and very low in nutrition - like feeding potato chips and the flakes can lead to bloating and constipation issues. Also pellets that have lots of wheat or just fish meals have this issue as well.

Aquarium salt should only be used up to 10 days and only in case of actual infection. Adding aquarium salt on a regular basis, unless you are using it to remineralize RO water, will breed resistant infections and make it useless in case of actual infection. It can also lead to premature organ failure.. AQ also makes constipation/bloating worse.

Follow this here for the infection: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=0#post1451846

I would also discontinue AQ use and fast him the next 3 days and then start the meds. I would add 1 tsp per gallon EPSOM salt - pure 100% magnesium sulfate. It must not have any additives of any kind - dyes perfumes etc. I get mine from CVS Pharmacy. You should predissolve 1 tsp per gallon and add it to the tank slowly over an hour. This is safe to use indefinitely but I would say a couple weeks is good. Like AQ, you only readd with water changes.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #5 
Neeklette

That's great I will try to see if those are available where I live, I have been having real trouble finding quality beta food in any store in the city. On the pellets the ingredients are just listed like this: Crude Protein (40,4%), Crude fat (8,7%%), Crude fibre (3,4%), moisture(6,1%), crude ash (4,0%) and then vitamin additives.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #6 
Neeklette

I have managed to find the metro product online, still searching for the others. Is it best to start with the Epsom until it arrives (gonna go to the pharmacy in a bit). Do you know if it is safe to use with invertebrates or not?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #7 
Neeklette

sorry for the bad quality.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 
callistra

I would pm OFL about epsom salt with invertebrates.. the snails may need to be removed
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #9 
Neeklette

I have just started adding the salts, today he is having a lot of problems staying upright and his belly is more swollen.
If he is not swimming he is on his side, is there anything else I can do until the metro comes? He looks like he has the beginning signs of dropsy.

Last edited by Neeklette; 03-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #10 
Neeklette

*Update* I have a product from my mother in law which is like the European equivalent of General cure and I'm gonna try that until the other medication arrives.