Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #1 
remoore

My fish doesn't want to eat anything!!!

I bought a betta fish a few days ago and was advised by a pet store employee to get pellets for it to eat (this is a local store with a large aquarium section and all the employees have knowledge about aquariums). So I bought the pellets. I set up the betta in its living space (2.5 gallon tank, a couple of live plants and some gravel; water treated with that stuff that removed chlorine and chloramine).

For a few days, I fed it individual pellets. It seemed to eat three or four pellets at a time, one or two times per day, and to know when it was done eating. This morning, however, was different. I could not get it to eat the pellets; it would sometimes put one in its mouth, and then spit it out instead of swallowing. I tried to get it to eat for twenty or thirty minutes, and then I gave it some time to rest before I tried again. When I came back, it still wouldn't eat the pellets, so I tried some freeze dried meal worms and small pieces of my goldfish's flakes with the same result.

Later on, I went back to the original store and bought the following: frozen, fresh brine shrimp; betta flakes; a little container with different freeze dried creatures that was labeled as 'betta treats".

The betta fish did not like the treats or the flakes. I tried to give it brine shrimp, but it showed absolutely no interest. I did not want to get a bunch of brine shrimp in the water because I did not want bacteria to grow, so I put the fish in a quart sized yogurt container with some water and then put in a lot of thawed out brine shrimp, which it showed no interest in. I put it back in its tank.

I can kind of understand its not liking the other stuff, but was surprised that the thawed out brine shrimp elicited no response.

I would be very grateful for any advice :)

Thank you.
remoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Maybe is eat to many pellets when you fed him before and is not hungry. I would not worry about and offer him a couple of pellets tonight or in the morning. Most Bettas will not eat at all when you first bring them home for a few days till they adjust to their new home. Welcome to the forum !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #3 
remoore

Hi Perseusmom! Thank you for your reply. I will take your advice and try feeding again later... :)
Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

It could be that the pellets you gave him were something different than what he is used to eating. Give him a few days to adjust to his new home, and his new food. Bettas can go a long time without eating, so like Perseusmom said, don't worry about it today. Just try to feed him again tonight or tomorrow morning.

How does he look, otherwise? Is he swimming around and exploring his new home? Are his fins open? Also, what's the water temperature? Bettas generally prefer water temps of about 77-82F.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #5 
koincidenskis

Try some thawed out, raw shrimp made for us humans!!!!. Mine gobbles that up. Through some research I have found people feeding their bettas only "meat products" which is shrimp, bloodworms, and fruitflies. They soak it in vitamins in order to give the natural nutrients. That is what I have been doing since my betta is a picky eater. Guess he doesn't like processed.
koincidenskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Is your tank heated? If not, that could be the problem.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #7 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Try soaking his food in garlic juice. Works for my fussy eater. He's a shy guy and wouldn't even eat blood worms before they were hit with some garlic XP
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #8 
juju

Does he look bloated or have a "pot belly"? Sometimes bettas get overfed, bloated, constipated, etc. and need to wait a while before eating again. Heating your tank and fasting him one day a week will help eliminate this.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #9 
remoore

Thank you, everybody, for your helpful comments and advice