Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #1 
Vendria

Black Mollys?

Good Afternoon Betta Forum :)

I am very new to fish keeping. Two days ago I got a Betta fish. It was sort of a random purchase because I had always wanted a fish and one of my cats is 15 years old and can't move around much anymore and needs abit of enrichment. The Petsmart lady told me I could keep them in one of those small Betta keepers. I thought I was being nice and bought my Beta a 1 gallon tank.

However, after I brought him home I did some research and saw that it was not enough space for my new Betta. I figured within a week or two I would peruse craigslist and find a tank someone just wants to get rid of... somewhere in the 10-30 gallon range. Something to fit on my desk, etc.

Well the thing is I just don't have a sweet 15 yr old cat. I also have a 15lbs Norweigan Forest Cat (Google it) male who is tons of fun and lots of trouble. He was interested in the 1 Gallon tank and in the middle of the night he knocked it over and almost got my Fish!

So the Beta fish went back into his cup and when the morning rolled around I went to Petco and spent way to much money on a 10 gallon tank with a filter and heater. I have a few hiding spots and a couple of artifical plants but plan on adding a few live plants.

NOW here is where the black mollys come into play. I went to a fish store because 1 fish in a 10 gallon tank doesn't look too impressive on my desk. I saw tetras and these black mollys that had a Betta in the tank with them, and the fish store Betta looked just fine. I ended up buying 4 Black Mollys and they seem pretty engrossed with themselves to be bothered with the Betta.

The Betta has been hiding most of the time because the cats have been watching him, but as a few hours past I think he feels alittle safer because he is out and about and puffing at himself with gils open at the glass.

Are there any warning signs I should look for with the black mollys and the betta? I heard they were fin nippers but they didn't show it at the fish store or for the few hours I have had them at home.

Thank you!!

Vendria
Vendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #2 
Vendria

Here are pictures of the fish and now new tank with the mollies :)
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
PaulO

How much space do you have on your desk? I used to have mollies in a 10 g and while they can fit okay it doesn't give them enough room to swim and water changes pile up like non other due to their waste production. If you can I would go for a 20 g,20 long, or 29g tank but I understand that space is not a luxury everyone has. If however you do manage to get a larger tank keep in mind these fish do like alkaline water (greater than 7 ph) and they are live bearers so if the store didn't separate males and females 95% chance at least of babies. If you want to read more about them I will throw some links in below good luck .

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...89&pcatid=2089

http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Mollies.htm

Also just as a heads up one gallon of water = ~8.33 lbs give or take and wet sand/rocks/gravel weighs more so please make sure the surface the tank will be on is safe.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #4 
Vendria

Well I have a corner desk from ikea. I've attached the link but it does not show how much weight i can bear. I've taken off the top portion... well after 3 moves it wouldn't fit back on ha.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50244741/

I have 3 male mollies and 1 female. I am thinking about taking back the female and getting another male, but not sure if they would get more aggressive that way.

My parents have a 35 gallon tank that I might be interested in grabbing from them, but I am afraid the weight will be too much for the desk. I am closely monitoring the fish for a couple of days and making sure this set up will be alright for now. It has been 10 hours sense they all got into the tank and no fins have been nipped at yet. :)

The mollies seem to be content chasing each other around and the betta fish doesn't mind. He seems to stay out of the way.

Thank you so much for the advice... I will do some more reading.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #5 
PooterFish

Hello! Congrats on the 10g upgrade :)

I'm sorry to say but your female Molly will most likely die from the constant chasing by the males trying to mate with her. The ratio should be 2-3 females to one male. Another thing is 10g isn't ideal for mollies, they produce a good amount of waste and reproduce quickly, if the babies aren't eaten they could take over that tank fast. Only males may work, but they might pick on each other, I suggest getting rid of the female and looking for a larger tank. Either way good luck and you have a very nice betta :)
PooterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #6 
Vendria

Thank you :) I will report back in a few days. What I can see right now is that the female and the biggest male sort of pal around and the bigger male mollie chases away the other males.

If they can self police like that maybe there is hope, but I'm keeping a watch on the gal and will take her back for another male if it looks like she is losing steam.

Trying to follow the minimum of 4 rules for the mollies. Only 5 fish in the tank in total so it does not look like too much but with any new tank keeping a watch on the Ph level, etc.

More pressing matter is getting another big structure for the beta. I only have one where he can escape the current.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

Another big problem is that mollies do grow quite large - too large to be comfortable in a ten gallon in the long-term.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #8 
Vendria

My parents have a 35 gallon tank they are going to give to me. I'm going to give it awhile and let the mollys grow in here for now then I think once they are moved I'll get a few tetras for the 10g.

Everyone is getting along well now and they are safe from the cats. With the added plants and new structure the betta has more places to hand out and relax in.

Thank you everyone!
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #9 
Vendria

And yes that really is a 10 gallon tank.... Miles is just massive. Here is him next to a pumpkin about to be carved for halloween.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #10 
PooterFish

Cute cat :3 and congrats on the coming upgrade. That should do nicely :)
PooterFish is offline   Reply With Quote