Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #21 
Flashygrrl

One more thing..by all means you and your kids should get another Betta. But I'll advise you this time to take the time to read the truly excellent sticky put together by Cody and a few others, get a mini-heater and sponge filter or small Whisper Intank if it'll fit, and take the time to let your tank cycle after a thorough cleaning, no soap. Show your kids how it's done right, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #22 
SST

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your fishie. That's so hard. I would suspect the stress of the cold did him in.

I hope you do decide to get another one. They are such neat pets. I don't know what size tank you have, but a heater and a thermometer (the kind that stick inside the tank, not the stick on the outside one) are a wise investment. You can do without a filter. I don't have one on my 5 gallon. I used to, but I pulled it for a different tank. My water has gone through the nitrogen cycle so I only need to do 25% water changes a week, sometimes 50% every two weeks. When I started with a smaller bowl, I did 100% water changes weekly. It just depends on the size of the tank, how big your fish is, how much you feed him, etc.

Let us know how we can help.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #23 
Purplely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
Sounds like you (or him, really) had a lot working against you.

1. You should have had a <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('A very important equipment used to regulate the temperature of the aquarium. It may or may not be included with a thermostat.')">heater</span> for him, 70 degrees itself is insanely cold for a Betta.
2. No filter. You said the water was pretty yellow? Probably ammonia or junk from the feeder block, and leftovers from the bloodworm fest. The full water change (never ever advisable in a tank that's not a bowl and no need for it with <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('Process of removing waste material from the tank water to prevent pollution')">filtration</span>) only served to stress him out more.

I hope you learn something from this experience...this forum is all about learning and asking questions, but it's extremely important that when given an answer, that answer be followed or stuff like this happens. I'm not saying this to be rude or mean, and I'm sorry if it seems a bit harsh (losing a fish sucks) but hopefully it also serves an example to other new people so they don't have to go through the same thing.
Wow, just a little harsh on the answer thing Flashygirl.....if you read the post here on this message, some say add the slow release, and others say not to. Some said not to feed him, others said to. Then I read to change the water 100% then the next search brings up only to change 50%. I really did try to ask alot of questions and follow the advice here. My petshop tended to lead me down the the opposite road of what advice I got here and to be honest, this site is were I want my information. I guess I did not filter enough or ask the right questions.

My pet store suggested putting in a bunch of bloodworms and 2 3 day slow releases...yeah, that would not have caused any problems!! It seems everyone has a method that works for them but Purplely's end I think came from the darn heat in the house being turned down. It was a oversight as the family was loaded up in the car and as I did my quick last run throught the house to make sure everything was off and past the thermostat and thought why run the heat at 70 all week. I kicked it down to 65 and that was it. The temp in our house is a constant 70 degrees and he seemed fine with it. I read alot of post of people having their bettas at the office. I know my offcie building can get pretty cold on the weekends. Somehow I wonder if 65 is really too cold considering the conditions others must see.

My set up was a simple pet store set up. We had a bowl, it is a 1.5 gallon along with 2 live plants in the middle and rocks. He seemed very content with a nice bubble nest about a week prior to leaving on vacation. When we left he still looked a little full from the bloodworms. My wife thinks it was the worms that did him in. He never looked great after he gorged himself that week before we left.

Well, we will try again. Our original plan was to start off with the 1.5 and then when a room being redone is completed, we were going to get him a larger tank with all of the filters and heater. I guess we will have to wait until the room is done and then just get the right set up and not the pet store version.

Thanks to everyone for your help in this. This is a very knowledgealbe forum and I appreciate everyones insight.
Purplely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 PM   #24 
Falina

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I think you're doing the right thing however by waiting until you can get the proper set up before trying again. having fish can be very enjoyable, but also very sad when things go wrong. by having patience and doing all you can to make sure everything is "top notch" you greatly reduce the chances of anything going wrong and both you and your fish will be much happier.

Best of luck to you for next time. if you have any questions in the mean time, or when you get your new set-up, we'll be here to help. :)
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote