Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #1 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sfbb frozen brine shrimp safe?

So, at my stop at petsmart, I picked up some San fransisco bay brand frozen brine shrimp. I plan on using them for both conditioning and as treats. So-

Is this brand safe?
Is there any risk of parasites?

I have heard of parasites being introduced via frozen foods and want to be cautious.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #2 
MiyuMikaelson

I bought some Blood worms from them; I should've read up on their brand. Now I'm curious.
:O
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Bump?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

San Francisco Bay is produced in China. There are some issues with the frozen bloodworms that I know about re parasites. I have that exact bbs as you Matt and there was no problem just dont overfeed or make it a staple for long periods of time. Its not too bad as a treat. Generally I try to avoid betta food made in China. You can also think about hatching bbs for your little guys with a system. new hatch bbs is terrific for fry and you could raise the bbs to adulthood and feed them to adult betta as well.

Edit. I should have read more carefully. I used freeze dreid sfb brine shrimp in cubes is what I was referring to. I have used the San Francisco frozen brine shimp as well with no problem but this is certainly not the best brand for frozen imo. Odds are still very high that you will have no issues.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 03-04-2013 at 04:56 PM.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok good. I knew not to buy their bloodworms after reading your post, but had no idea about the brine shrimp. I don't use freeze dried for quite a few reasons. I know that its not the best brand, but (Im sure you experience this a lot to!) there's not a ton available. My fish sure enjoyed it though! Next time I will try frozen myis from big als.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #6 
callistra

There is some potential to get internal parasites from from any kind of frozen "bug" food. It's not nearly as likely as feeding live, but it happens.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote