Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Thumbs down Found That One Thing...

Today I was in Global Pets with my mum and was looking around in the fish isle. We don't usually go there, but I had asked, as I am looking for fish stores to go back to in the summer for a larger tank I have. I walked in and the smell hit me. A good, clean, this-has-animals-living-here-but-they-are-healthy clean. Like a well planted fish tank. I was astonished at how well everything was cleaned.

And then I saw him. That one Betta. He was sitting on top on a Cichilid tank with two others, and their water was perfectly clean. His was brown. And I mean BROWN. He had what I would define as no colour to his body, a gorgeous red tail with purple at the top and countless diseases. From what I saw there was fin melt, tail rot, pop eye and Ich. I was completely appalled and immediately picked him up and brought him up front; that was when my mum caught me and told me to go put him back. I argued with her, but she said if I didn't she wouldn't spend a second looking after the fish I have while I was gone and I could sure count on her not letting me get the used tank I was purchasing later in the day.

I put him back, told the owner to clean his cup, and sat in the car. Let's just say I am less than impressed right now. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if the other cups weren't crystal clear with decent looking Bettas. This guy- he had been there a long time. He had just been sitting. I honestly feel only guilt in not fighting for him :( Ugh, why are people so ignorant!?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's awful! Where in Canada are you?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

Ontario. Our pet stores are pretty horrible. I have to completely rethink all of my stocking ideas because there are basically NONE of the fish I wanted to get for my 30g at my not-so-local pet stores.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #4 
waterdog

Most pet stores look at those little betta cups are the same thing as a can of cat food. Put it on the shelf and forget about it.
I don't blame the pet store employees, I blame the management! As a retail manager for 15 years, it is my job to properly train my staff, then supervise to make sure they are doing what I trained them to do.
Most pet store employees are not trained in animal care. People think they are cause they work there. They are simply there to stock the shelves.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote