Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #1 
KatSea

Starting a betta tank questions

Hello everyone!

Before I start I want to say yes I have read the Betta Fish Care Sticky, but I also like to get opinions of people who have had first hand experience.

Im thinking of setting up a 10 or 15 gallon betta tank. It wont be right away and I don't have anything bought yet. SO I just have a few questions.

1. I've heard of keeping other fish in a large betta tank, what kind of fish could I keep? Would tetras be a good idea?

2. Whats the best kind of filter? I know you have to be able to control the flow, but is an internal filter better than a external?

3. I plan on putting real plants in mine and using sand as a substrate. My question is what kind of plants would be good and also what lighting would be the best.

Thank you a head of time for all the help!
KatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

1. I've heard of keeping other fish in a large betta tank, what kind of fish could I keep? Would tetras be a good idea?
Mine is an all female tank with 2 plecos and snails. Corydoras seem popular but i think they like soft water and some people go with bristlenose plecos. Mine are clown plecos. no idea about other fish species...

2. Whats the best kind of filter? I know you have to be able to control the flow, but is an internal filter better than a external? Alot of people like the Aquaclear filters because you can customize the filter media as you want (sponge, carbon, ceramic things for biological filtration). I have Tetra 10i and Aqueon 10 filters. They both seem to work well. The only complaint I have is with the tetra 10i and sand - sometimes when changing the water, sands gets inside and stops the impeller. Its easy to fix - just open the filter and give it a nudge and it should resume spinning again. I don't bother with the filter cartridges for either - I just stuff the inside with aquaclear foam and then baffle the outflow with more foam. I only use the actual cartridges when I need the carbon to remove medication from the tank. Much cheaper this way - just swish the foam in old tank water and replace it.

3. I plan on putting real plants in mine and using sand as a substrate. My question is what kind of plants would be good and also what lighting would be the best. I just have a basic Aqueon T-8 strip light with sand (no soil) and I can grow swords and floating plants but for some reason any stem plant I get goes all gooey even with the use of root tabs. I know plants will melt but these plants never recovered and I am not sure why. None were supposed to be high light plants...?

i get mine online from mike's wet pets on aquabid or http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Hi! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSea View Post

As was said, it depends on your water hardness and pH. Tetras could potentially be good tankmates in soft, acidic water. In harder, alkaline water, something like Endler's Livebearers might be better. :)

In general, when looking at tankmates, these are the rules:
- something that will thrive in your water type
- nothing nippy (no barbs)
- nothing with a long flowing tail or extreme colours (no male guppies)
- nothing big enough to eat the betta
- nothing predisposed to fight a betta (no other bettas or gouramis, no cichlids)

2. Whats the best kind of filter? I know you have to be able to control the flow, but is an internal filter better than a external?
It is mostly a matter of personal preference. External filters are generally much more powerful and have a higher filtration capacity, but that's not necessarily what you want for a betta. I use internal or built-in filters with my bettas, but will be using a large external filter for my goldfish.

3. I plan on putting real plants in mine and using sand as a substrate. My question is what kind of plants would be good and also what lighting would be the best.
If you are new to plants, stick to basics. Cabomba, ambulia, hornwort, wisteria, duckweed, frogbit, java fern, java moss, anubias, elodea, ludwigia and vallisneria all make good starting points. :) In general, you want a light with about 6500k and about 2 watts per gallon. :)

Thank you a head of time for all the help!
I hope this helps. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

For large-fin Betta (VTs ,HMs, etc) you'll want to minimise current. The easiest and cheapest way to achieve that, while still getting good filtration and enough bacteria capacity for a cycled tank, is to use a sponge filter.

Make sure you cover your tank to keep in the warm moist air they like to breath.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 
KatSea

Thank you everyone for the help!
KatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #6 
waterdog

You can learn about sponge filters by clicking the link in my signature.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote