Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #1 
kaitlynanime

Smile New Home for Apollo

Hi everyone as of right now I have my Half Moon Betta Apollo in a 1 gallon heated and filtered tank. So I've desided to give him a bigger home. Now I have a 10 gallon tank. I added the water and water conditioner tonight and want some tips on how to make his home better for him. I have some pebbles, fake plants, and sea glass (I boiled it before putting it in the tank). All ideas and sugestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
kaitlynanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yay for Apollo! The main suggestion I have is get that liquid test kit if you don't have already & if you're going to cycle the tank. Test it daily & do the appropriate water changes. If you post a pic of the tank we might be able to better suggest.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #3 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlynanime View Post
Hi everyone as of right now I have my Half Moon Betta Apollo in a 1 gallon heated and filtered tank. So I've desided to give him a bigger home. Now I have a 10 gallon tank. I added the water and water conditioner tonight and want some tips on how to make his home better for him. I have some pebbles, fake plants, and sea glass (I boiled it before putting it in the tank). All ideas and sugestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Congratulations on the upgrade! ^^

Once thing that may make Appolo's tank more interesting would be homemade tunnels. If you go to a hardware store and get a small section of PVC pipe (less than a dollar!), you can then place it at the bottom of the tank and put the gravel over the top of it. Be sure that the section of pipe is large enough, and voila! Instant tunnel!

One thing I would also consider is a live plant- not necessarily a planted one- but a floating one like hornwort. It naturally feeds on the ammonia your fish produces, and it can give him an extra something to swim through.
Be sure to keep up on your water changes, however!

Another thing you could do is switch the decor and the decoration placement every other month or so. That way Apollo won't be stuck in a stagnant environment and will always have a new place to explore ^_^

I hope that this helped!
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #4 
kaitlynanime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Yay for Apollo! The main suggestion I have is get that liquid test kit if you don't have already & if you're going to cycle the tank. Test it daily & do the appropriate water changes. If you post a pic of the tank we might be able to better suggest.
Thats another thing I had a question on. Whats the best way to cycle the tank? I've already spent alot of money on my tanks and don't exactly live close to a pets store so buying the amonia stuff (or whatever it is xD) isnt the easiest thing for me :( This is my 1st big tanks. any sugestions?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #5 
kaitlynanime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Congratulations on the upgrade! ^^

Once thing that may make Appolo's tank more interesting would be homemade tunnels. If you go to a hardware store and get a small section of PVC pipe (less than a dollar!), you can then place it at the bottom of the tank and put the gravel over the top of it. Be sure that the section of pipe is large enough, and voila! Instant tunnel!

One thing I would also consider is a live plant- not necessarily a planted one- but a floating one like hornwort. It naturally feeds on the ammonia your fish produces, and it can give him an extra something to swim through.
Be sure to keep up on your water changes, however!

Another thing you could do is switch the decor and the decoration placement every other month or so. That way Apollo won't be stuck in a stagnant environment and will always have a new place to explore ^_^

I hope that this helped!
Thats a realy good idea :D Thanks! I dont have any expirence with live plants in tanks so I want to take it slow for now :P
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #6 
kaitlynanime

As you can see I ran out of pebbles for the bottom so I am planning on going to a pet store asap for more