Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #1 
Jexx

Cool I don't know what I want

So here's the deal: I currently have two 5 gallon tanks. One houses a male one houses a female. I have the best of both worlds but I want more. Here is their set-up:
Name:  20130202_132110.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  44.9 KB

I intend to get another shelf identical in size to the one they are currently on. It measures 31 inches long and 15.5 inches deep. I will place it on either the right or left side of the current one.

Here is my dilemma: I don't know what I want! I'd love a 20 gallon long but I don't know if I can swing it. My husband BARELY agreed to another tank and he thinks I'm getting a 10 gallon lol. I really should be choosing between a 10 or 15 gallon. I kind of want to do Low tech planted. So low light plants. I don't think I could handle a NPT because I like things neat and tidy and still want decorations. I can't decide whether I want a community of small fish, a sorority of girls or if I want to divide and do another male and female.

I really need to over think this because this is the last tank I will be able to have for a couple years without my husband leaving me XD

Give me your creativity!!!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #2 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
I really need to over think this because this is the last tank I will be able to have for a couple years without my husband leaving me XD
Look at my signature and you will see I understand! LOL

We all constantly want more of these guys. I firmly think if they could be housed together most people would just keep bettas and nothing else. I dream of being able to fill my 75 gallon with nothing but bettas, but alas, it can never be.

I am wanting to do a sorrority tank also. I have a 29 gallon that would be wonderful. (if my wife ever relents) IMO the two tanks you have with each a male, then a tank full of females next to it would make an awesome display!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #3 
jibruno

I have a 30 Gal sorority, it looks amazing and i love watching the females swim together. i also started adding in other fish to make it a community.

You could have a 10 gal sorority or community but in my opinion i feel like thats a little small. Although i know plenty of people have had success with that size. i say getting a 15 gal tank. add in 5-6 females and maybe another small school of fish that will be cooperative.

just a few quick tips though- if you do a sorority, add all the females at the same time, have lots of hiding places to reduce stress and fighting, and remember that the first few days there will be some fighting to establish a rank structure, its normal. also don't confuse fighting with playing.

if your making a community remember that some fish cant be with bettas, nothing thats too nippy, has to like tropical temp water, and shouldn't be too bright or colorful or else it will provoke a fight.

Good luck
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 
Jexx

I had a feeling the 15 would be a better choice. I like the idea of two 5 gallon male tanks and one 15 gallon sorority but my concern is, the current female I have has always been in her own 5 gallon since 12 weeks old. She is now 5 months old. Would it be wise to place her with other females?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #5 
Jexx

Also how would wag swordtails fair with bettas?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #6 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Look at my signature and you will see I understand! LOL
Hahaha ahh it would be a paradise to not have to choose between betta and spouse XD
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #7 
jibruno

As long as you take her out, and put her into the 15 gal tank (with similiar water parameters) with all the other females at the same time. she should do fine. it will be a little stressful at first and fight for a bit but everything will balance out, just keep an eye on the tank for the first few days
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #8 
waterdog

Shouldn't be a problem as she will be going into a new enviroment just like the others. Just make sure you add them all at the same time so no one establishes a territory first.

I'll defer the swordtail question to others as all I put with a betta is cory cats!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #9 
jibruno

Im not too sure about wag swordtails, i am planning on Cherry barbs,pygmy cories, X ray tetras,Bloodfin tetras, Rasbora Brigittae, Black neon tetras, you could also add in ghost shrimp or snails too.

each fish has different preferences though, some like large schools, some do well in small schools. some need a minimum of 10-15 gal so just do the research before picking a fish. (pygmy or albino cories are good tank cleaners. you could have 2 or 3 of them in a 15 gal with 5 female bettas and then 5 other fish.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #10 
Shadyr

I like the idea of a 15-20G sorority and put a new male in the empty 5 once the female is part of the girl tank.

I have 11 girls in my 36G, and it's a fun tank!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote