Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 
Kels

Angry ammonia driving me C R A Z Y!!! *feeling like SUCH a newb*

I just cant get my ammonia under control! Im ready to take the whole tank down an start over (and by that mean rinsing my gravel off and doing %100 WC) Right now i have my guy in a 1g bowl being treated for melt and fin rot.

the fish store across the street from me tested the water out of the tap and it was really high in ammonia. Im using prime im doing the water changes, the only thing i can think of is not having a siphen the last couple weeks (will be getting one soon) moms dog used it as a chew toy.

Im doing water changes like crazy and still not seeing a diff. the guy i talk to today told me the filter i was using wasnt good enough to hold BB. Im using the filter that came with the tank start up kit http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12302643

Is this true? should i go to a sponge filter? Im so lost!
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 
Nicci Lu

I don't think you need to change filters, but if you answer some questions, we can help you more. How long has your tank been set up? It's a ten gallon? What is your water change regimen? What exactly are the water parameters in the tank? Out of the tap? Is your betta the only one in the tank?

Fish-in cycling can take up two months and until then, if there is ammonia in your tap, the best filter in world isn't going to help until the cycling is complete. Whatever you do, don't rinse your gravel- you'll just kill whatever progress you've made in the cycling process.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 
Kels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
I don't think you need to change filters, but if you answer some questions, we can help you more. How long has your tank been set up? It's a ten gallon? What is your water change regimen? What exactly are the water parameters in the tank? Out of the tap? Is your betta the only one in the tank?

Whatever you do, don't rinse your gravel- you'll just kill whatever progress you've made in the cycling process.
Sorry, should of been clearer i ment swoosh it around to get the muck out then dump water,not actually RINSE the gravel

10G, Been set up littler over month. (dont do daily test )i test weekly, haven't seen this before. will be gettin a getting test kit. I have been testing the water everyday since the spike (yesterday didnt make it) the store across the street. my ammonia was 5.0! i dont recall what the tap water tested at, I'll have it retested.
i change Weekly 50% havent had a sephin in a couple weeks. so i do a extra %25.

Bettas the only on in the tank, he ate two shrimps not to long ago.. i got what was left of them our right away.

He is currently in a 1g tank being treated from melt/fin rot with Kanaplex. Today was his 3rd day. (STILL trying to find Vitachem)

I really am trying my best! feeling clueless here.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #4 
Nicci Lu

Definitely get a testing kit. 50% weekly is good, but you also want to test daily so you can do another 50% any time you get ammonia or nitrites .25 or over, or nitrATEs 20ppm or over. Does any uneaten food get left on the bottom, or do you take it out? It does sound like there must be a lot of waste in the gravel because 5 ammonia is very high considering your water changes. Can you get a turkey baster to tide you over until you can get a gravel vacuum? Sometimes you can find them at the dollar store. With the baster it'll take longer, but you can at least get the debris that's in the gravel.

I would try a 75% change, since your betta's in QT, with a turkey baster. Do swoosh your gravel around right before you take the water out if you can't get a baster- at least then you'll remove some debris with the water column and your filter can pick up the rest. Make sure you don't let the filter media dry out. The next time you change your bettas QT water, swish the filter media good in his old water- I wouldn't use the 10 gallons' old water because it'll be pretty dirty. Then see what your params are.

Are you doing a daily 100% change with his QT tank?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 
Kels

The first 2 days in his QT i didnt because i was told not to from the guy at the pet store because i was giving him kanaplx, but on the 3rd day i did a 100 wc and then gave his last dose. Today i will be doing ANOTHER%100 wc on him.

I'm going to leave him in that till i see whats up with his fins. yesterday was the last dose of kanaplex, now i need to get something to help with fin regrowth. and see how he looks today. I CANT FIND VITACHEM! i didnt want to wait for it to ship, but looking like thats how its gonna be.

I'm going to do the 75% WC in his 10g. and get all that crap out of the bottom of his tank. I have two diff colors in his tank, gravle wise. would it be fine to remove his gravel dump the water with out rinsing the gravel so i can place it back in with out having it get all mixed up in the swooshing lol. or would i be dumping to much BB (i cant afford to lose any)

in my little girls 5.5 i will be doing another %50 wc today. She really doesnt have gravel since shes a baby, she only has some little glass rocks and clear small fish bowl to swim in and one bamboo sticking out of her tank. Her ammonia's high as well but i have been changing her water almost everyday and adding prime, and she is frisky and looking good. although the ammonia in such a little girl, SCARS ME!

but what can i do till my cycles complete to control ammonia, IF i have ammonia in the water? Move? lol jk
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #6 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels View Post
I'm going to do the 75% WC in his 10g. and get all that crap out of the bottom of his tank. I have two diff colors in his tank, gravle wise. would it be fine to remove his gravel dump the water with out rinsing the gravel so i can place it back in with out having it get all mixed up in the swooshing lol. or would i be dumping to much BB (i cant afford to lose any)
As long as you don't rinse the gravel in chlorinated water or let the gravel get dry, the BB will be fine because it is sticky. Perhaps you can take out the gravel and swish it in a clean batch of conditioned water. And that way, the gravel won't get dry when you're doing the WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels View Post
in my little girls 5.5 i will be doing another %50 wc today. She really doesnt have gravel since shes a baby, she only has some little glass rocks and clear small fish bowl to swim in and one bamboo sticking out of her tank. Her ammonia's high as well but i have been changing her water almost everyday and adding prime, and she is frisky and looking good. although the ammonia in such a little girl, SCARS ME!

but what can i do till my cycles complete to control ammonia, IF i have ammonia in the water? Move? lol jk
Once you get into the routine, it's pretty simple. One 50% WC weekly with a vacuum. Test water everyday for ammonia, nitrATEs and nitrITEs. Anytime you see ammonia or nitrITEs .25 or over, or nitrATEs 20ppm or over, do a 50% WC. If your tap has ammonia in it already, then use that number as your baseline. For example, if your tap has .25 ammonia then do a WC if it gets over .25. I dose Prime every day for the full 10 gallons to detox ammonia when cycling- my tap also has ammonia. According to Seachem, Prime will detox ammonia for 24-48 hours- I like to err on the side of caution.

I'm wondering just how how your tap's ammonia is, though, if your girl's tank also has high ammonia and you're performing regular WCs. If your tap's ammonia is higher than .5, I would look into using another water source. Some use half bottled water, but I'm really not sure what this requires- adding minerals, etc.

Try adding fast growing live plants- they'll help suck up ammonia. Hornwort is super easy, grows fast, is low light and it floats.

I had to order Vita-Chem online, too. I got it from ebay, usaflea was the name I believe, and it only took 2 days to get here. Honestly, though, I think your money would better spent on a gravel vacuum at this point. Not having vitamins won't harm your betta, and you can make up for this by feeding him healthy pellets with whole fish of a specific type as the first ingredient and varying his diet with treats like frozen bloodworms that are high in protein and will help with regrowth. The ammonia issues you're having because you aren't able to vacuum the gravel will kill him, though.

#1 requirement for fish-in cycling: patience.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #7 
Kels

vacuum is coming.

Our car got totaled, Got hit at a dead stop and the fool was doing 70, Used my car has his breaks!!! having to get a rent a car for the last month an a half is killing my budgeting lol! One this nightmare is over, i'll be back to being able to run out and get what i need when i need it.

On my list of MUST BUYS!
vitachem (poor guys tail)
liquid test kit
hornwart!!!! (love that it floats, he LOVES floating things, have to take out his floating fake plant, dont think it was helping his tail)

Thanks for all your help!!!! I'm not so overwhelmed :)
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

The majority of the bacteria will be in the filter cartridge although there will also be some on the gravel,walls and decor.

Quote:
the guy i talk to today told me the filter i was using wasnt good enough to hold BB
Is it a tetra internal filter? if so, I fail to see how that guy would be correct unless you are tossing out the cartridge monthly like they want you to do. When you do that, there goes the majority of your BB and the cycle. swish it in old tan water and stick it bac in the filter
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #9 
Nicci Lu

Sheesh, the car wreck sounds awful, but at least everyone was okay.

Good luck on the cycling and your boy and girl! Remember, you probably have about a month to go, but it'll happen...eventually.

If you haven't seen these yet, check out these stickies on the cycle.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Forgot to mention about the plants. The hornwort is good for the ammonia in the water column. But also, the more rooted plants you have, the less you have to worry about the debris in your gravel because the plants use it as food. Bonus!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #10 
Kels

@ Tiki - The filter is the one that came with the tank. its a Internal power filter flow rate 90GPH the brand is Greeat Choice. I don't toss the filter i rinse it in the tank water.

@ NIC - i did read the stickys, but it was when i FIRST joined so it kind felt like reading a diff language, lol. Now that i have somewhat of a better understanding, I need to give it another read.

I did get a rooted plant (lutea) but it die within two day! when i told the guy at the store, i was told it was because of my ammonia :(

Should i get a food when i get the plants, give them a little food when i plant them? Should i just stick them in?

I am going to go in search of hornwort. . .

When i was at the store i was offered a free fish! i just couldn't in good conscious take that little baby, at least till i kinda have a hand on what im doing.... LOL