Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #31 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
CAJUN you say! Is that right! My own daddy's family happens to be Acadian. I do believe we may share some cultural background
Your dad must be a great man if he's got the Acadian blood in him!!!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #32 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Your dad must be a great man if he's got the Acadian blood in him!!!
You got that right!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #33 
Bombalurina

Quote:
I have hard water with a ph of 7.6-7.8. What do you recommend? Thats a shame about the sword tails. I really like the look of the female wag sword tail :(
How do you feel about Endler's Livebearers? They would do quite well in your water. :) They are stunningly beautiful, very peaceful and have always got on well with my sorority. Platys are another option that are similar to swordtails. If you have a tight-fitting lid and a betta unlikely to bother other fish, pygmy hatchetfish are another option. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibruno View Post
they sell things to change ph levels, you could change it to make it more ideal for your bettas and tank mates. if you have crown tails, the hard water could cause their fins to curl

Quote:
Now, lets say I lower my ph, soften the water a little and get some Cories to go with the Bettas. What if no food ever falls to the bottom? What to the Cory cats eat then? My current bettas let no food go to waste.

How would red Platies do with bettas?
If it can possibly be avoided, it is best not to mess with water chemistry like that. You end up fighting a constant battle to keep levels stable, so if your pH and hardness aren't extreme, it's best just to find fish to suit it. :) You could do it naturally, with peat moss or IAL, but it's still better to suit the fish to the water rather than trying to suit the water to the fish.

Cories need to be fed in addition to the scavenging they do. They need a meat-based pellet with a decent amount of protein, not one with fillers like wheat and flour meal. If you leave them just to scavenge, you'll have very hungry cories.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #34 
Fishy Mom

I decided to do a sorority with low light plants in my new 10g. I absolutely love it. After watching the girls & all the different personalities I'm glad I decided on a sorority. I haven't had a group of girls for so long I forgot how much fun they are.

So of course, I'm going to say you should do a sorority, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #35 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
How do you feel about Endler's Livebearers? They would do quite well in your water. :) They are stunningly beautiful, very peaceful and have always got on well with my sorority. Platys are another option that are similar to swordtails. If you have a tight-fitting lid and a betta unlikely to bother other fish, pygmy hatchetfish are another option. :)
I haven't even considered them. Maybe I should look into them a bit more. I think Hatchetfish are a no-no for me. I already have one jumper and it drives me batty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
If it can possibly be avoided, it is best not to mess with water chemistry like that. You end up fighting a constant battle to keep levels stable, so if your pH and hardness aren't extreme, it's best just to find fish to suit it. :) You could do it naturally, with peat moss or IAL, but it's still better to suit the fish to the water rather than trying to suit the water to the fish.
This sounds right to me. I'd prefer to not have to add a million things to the water at every change. So would Cories not be a good add then if I leave my water as it is?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #36 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
I decided to do a sorority with low light plants in my new 10g. I absolutely love it. After watching the girls & all the different personalities I'm glad I decided on a sorority. I haven't had a group of girls for so long I forgot how much fun they are.

So of course, I'm going to say you should do a sorority, lol.

What plants do you have in your 10 g? can you post a picture of it? How long have you had it? What would you say is the difficulty rating of the maintenance it requires?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #37 
Bombalurina

Quote:
I haven't even considered them. Maybe I should look into them a bit more. I think Hatchetfish are a no-no for me. I already have one jumper and it drives me batty.

This sounds right to me. I'd prefer to not have to add a million things to the water at every change. So would Cories not be a good add then if I leave my water as it is?
If you go for one of the rarer cories, no, but something that has been so commercially bred over the years, such as bronze or peppered cories, should actually work ok. :) Because they have been captive bred for so long they are much more tolerant of a range of water conditions than wild-caught species. :)

+1 on a sorority. :) I have also had a planted sorority and loved it. So much colour and character in one tank! :D
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #38 
Fishy Mom

Quote:

What plants do you have in your 10 g? can you post a picture of it? How long have you had it? What would you say is the difficulty rating of the maintenance it requires?
Java fern, Anubis, & Wisteria...although the wisteria they sell around here doesn't look anything like wisteria. I'm not sure what it is really. I have one huge silk plant by the filter & heater for major hiding spots for the girls too. I just got a new plant that I'm trying, but I forget what it's called. The privately owned local store said it should be fine in low light. I'll go take a pic for you now.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #39 
Jexx

Alright so here is my idea so far based on all of your great feed back:
15-20 gallon tank.
5 new females + Esmeralda my current female in a sorority
3 Common Cories
5 Platies or Endlers
Anubis, Java fern some floating plants. I like the idea of adding silk plants in there too to fill in space and add extra hiding spots. I'll also have 2 way caves and other decor.I need to learn about some more low light plants to add to my list because I do wish to have many in my tank.

Once Esmeralda is ok in the new sorority i'll put a new male in the free 5 gallon.

That will give me 8 Bettas in total!!! ^.^ OMG

I'll get the tank in another couple of weeks and start planting then. I don't want to add any fish until I know what I am doing with the plants. I am so exited!!!! I love planning tanks. I can't wait! Keep throwing ideas at me :)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #40 
jibruno

Sounds great, if you need a place to buy good plants or anything like that you can try Aquabid.com its like ebay but only for fish supplies haha

good luck!
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote