Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #41 
Jexx

Do they have good prices? I've never used aquabid before. I've never used eBay either lol
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #42 
Bombalurina

Sounds gorgeous. Get at least 5 cories, though. :) A 20gal will support it, and a 15 gal should cope if you plant it and filter it well. Especially if you go for Endlers rather than platies, as they are smaller and have a lower bioload.

Either way, expect your livebearers to breed like crazy, so have a plan for the fry just in case the bettas don't act as population control! There's a chance they will (mine certainly have with my Endlers) but some fry may slip by them, especially if it is heavily planted. In a 15 gallon, I'd suggest just going for 3 platys/Endlers and getting all males - this will reduce the strain on the bioload and prevent millions of fry. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #43 
Jexx

Thank you :) I think that sounds like a good idea. I have no desire to deal with unexpected fry lol. So, how about 6 female bettas (1 current and 5 new), 5 cories and 3 endlers or platies. Lets say I leave out the endlers or platies and just go with bettas and cories. What kind of cories can I get? Would the emerald ones be ok?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #44 
Fishy Mom

Yay, I like your plan for the tank. I took a pic last night, but I have to use my old iPad right now & it doesn't let me upload pics anywhere. I can post the pic tomorrow at work or from my newer iPad when I get the charger I left at my parents house.

I forgot to add that I have some anacharis floating in there too.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #45 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
Yay, I like your plan for the tank. I took a pic last night, but I have to use my old iPad right now & it doesn't let me upload pics anywhere. I can post the pic tomorrow at work or from my newer iPad when I get the charger I left at my parents house.

I forgot to add that I have some anacharis floating in there too.
Yay! I can't wait to see it :) I am so excited but also enjoying having this planning stage to obsess over :D
Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #46 
Jexx

ok so I answered my own question about emerald cories. I have decided based on my research they would be too big for 15 gallon tank. I think I may also leave out the platies or endlers and just do Cories and Bettas. Can I do six of each?
Also here is my plant list (please correct or comment as needed: (2) Java fern, (4) anubis, (4) anacharis, possibly (2) wisteria. I think I will use Carib sea echo complete planted aquarium substrate with a sand cap. do i need the sand cap?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #47 
Bombalurina

Six of each would be great. :)

If you like variety, look into corydoras aenaus - you can get bronze, albino and green variants. Alternatively, sterbai, julii or peppered are all very attractive. :) If you can, get your cories locally, or make sure they are tank-bred. :)

Your plants list sounds nice - you could easily grab a bunch more, too. :) For the plants you have, you don't need to spend out on eco-complete unless you plan to get some heavy root-feeders further down the line. Those plants all feed from the water column and only get minimal nutrients from the soil. The anubias and java fern won't even come into contact with the soil, as they generally get tied to stuff. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #48 
Jexx

Oh yes I hope to get all of my fish locally. My other two Bettas were both local purchases. I hope to get the new females from a breeder. My goal is to find 5 young sisters who have always been together. I will look into the corydoras aenaus. Do I need 6 of the same color or can I get a couple of each?
Also, since the eco complete is not necessary for the plants I have chosen, what should I place for substrate? Would Just sand be fine?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #49 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
Oh yes I hope to get all of my fish locally. My other two Bettas were both local purchases. I hope to get the new females from a breeder. My goal is to find 5 young sisters who have always been together. I will look into the corydoras aenaus. Do I need 6 of the same color or can I get a couple of each?
Also, since the eco complete is not necessary for the plants I have chosen, what should I place for substrate? Would Just sand be fine?
I just use sand & it seems to be working fine. Planning an aquarium & decorating it is so much fun.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #50 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
I just use sand & it seems to be working fine. Planning an aquarium & decorating it is so much fun.
ahh fantastic! thats definitely a relief on my wallet ^.^