Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 
DCLXVI

First time breeder needs some help.

So, I have the male and the female in the same tank and things seem to be going good, I just have a few questions.
The female is plump and has the white "pearl" on her chest. She is a white betta, so i cannot tell if she has bars. she doesn't seem super interested in the mating thing, but more or less is playing along. The male is the opposite.
First question:
They have embraced about 3 times now with no eggs. Should i consider it a failed attempt or give them some more time (it has been ~30 hours now)?

Also, I have a second, less desirable female who is also ready to go. Could I switch out the females without needing to re-condition the male?

Thanks
DCLXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

Lots of different method to keep, spawn and rear fry of this species successfully. its finding what works best for you, your breeders and what you have on hand-understanding that things can change from spawn to spawn-even with the same pair.

I assume this is your first time to spawn this species-can you tell us about the spawning method you are using, spawning tank info and pre-conditioning method used-also a pic would be nice-we love pics around here...lol...

Anyway, it can sometimes take several embrace attempt before you see eggs released-Not uncommon for them to start and stop several times and/or for it to take several hours to days before they get it right. As long as neither are stressed-I would leave them together a bit longer-If over 24h-feed and turn off the light as you normally would do.

Depending on how you conditioned, tank setup...etc....you might need to start over-If this is the female you want to spawn-you can get her ready in about 3 days-provided that she was already in breeding condition to start with.

Look forward to some pics...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #3 
DCLXVI

Thanks for the reply. Here are some pictures
http://imgur.com/a/4Q99I

A few things I will admit were not done to a T. The temp is ~75 because it is the only spare heater I have and cannot be changed. Also, the only live food I have access to are Red cherry shrimp and I don't really want to feed them all my shrimp to get fry lol.

So I should feed them now? I though i had read you shouldn't feed in the breeding tank. I will feed them some brine shrimp now.
Also, any way to tell if there are eggs in the bubble nest i might not be able to see? Ill admit I have been watching 24/7.... A man needs to eat! lol
Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would get more hiding spots.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #5 
Myates

Don't need more hiding spots.. I use no hiding spots in my breeding tubs, and some people use a ton.. so it's up to you what your fish do better with.

75F is on the verge of being too cold for adults (78-80 is ideal for adults, 82-84 is for fry).. if you get any eggs/fry they probably won't last long, and they won't be as healthy if they do, as colder water affects immune systems and metabolism.

You should of conditioned them prior, that female has no eggs in her at all.. her belly needs to be HUGE, very well rounded at the least - frozen/live foods for 5-14 days 3-4 times a day, along with neither seeing another betta at all during that time - only giving them 10-20 minutes a day of seeing one another (to get them excited, if they are in constant view they are desensitized and won't become excited over each other usually). If you can't get live foods for the adults, frozen would work fine - brine shrimp, blood worms (especially), etc.

What do you plan on feeding the fry?
Do you have your grow out tanks and jars prepared as well?

I personally don't feed in the breeding tank because (through experience) you just end up with a lot of waste collecting on the bottom - and every time you go in to clean it up you disrupt them which means they won't get going on spawning as easily/quickly. Why it's important to fill them up full of high protein first to give them the chance to stay healthy/active during the spawning, and the male during the nesting - a lot of times the males won't eat while caring for a nest. So they need to be conditioned prior.

Eggs you will see semi clusters of, they will be an off-white color, like very light sand coloration almost.. they aren't see through. You will also notice your male keeping the female away from the nest - often times attacking her and forcing her away. She may be beat up - clamped, panting in the corner afterwards.

But your female does not look to be ready.. what are your goals for breeding? As you have two different fin types, etc? Just out of curiosity.

Last edited by Myates; 03-04-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #6 
royal

Did you condition?
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #7 
royal

Wow, never mind just saw myates post. Stupid Internet!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 
Myates

lol :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #9 
DCLXVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Don't need more hiding spots.. I use no hiding spots in my breeding tubs, and some people use a ton.. so it's up to you what your fish do better with.

75F is on the verge of being too cold for adults (78-80 is ideal for adults, 82-84 is for fry).. if you get any eggs/fry they probably won't last long, and they won't be as healthy if they do, as colder water affects immune systems and metabolism.

You should of conditioned them prior, that female has no eggs in her at all.. her belly needs to be HUGE, very well rounded at the least - frozen/live foods for 5-14 days 3-4 times a day, along with neither seeing another betta at all during that time - only giving them 10-20 minutes a day of seeing one another (to get them excited, if they are in constant view they are desensitized and won't become excited over each other usually). If you can't get live foods for the adults, frozen would work fine - brine shrimp, blood worms (especially), etc.

What do you plan on feeding the fry?
Do you have your grow out tanks and jars prepared as well?

I personally don't feed in the breeding tank because (through experience) you just end up with a lot of waste collecting on the bottom - and every time you go in to clean it up you disrupt them which means they won't get going on spawning as easily/quickly. Why it's important to fill them up full of high protein first to give them the chance to stay healthy/active during the spawning, and the male during the nesting - a lot of times the males won't eat while caring for a nest. So they need to be conditioned prior.

Eggs you will see semi clusters of, they will be an off-white color, like very light sand coloration almost.. they aren't see through. You will also notice your male keeping the female away from the nest - often times attacking her and forcing her away. She may be beat up - clamped, panting in the corner afterwards.

But your female does not look to be ready.. what are your goals for breeding? As you have two different fin types, etc? Just out of curiosity.
Thanks for the advice. I removed the female after reading your post. I do have everything ready for fry. I will be feeding live brine and egg yolk.
I will probably be on here in another week or two with more questions lol