Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #11 
Kels

I'm having the same problem with high ammonia in the tap water.
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #12 
johnnymillenium

its so frustrating
I tried using drinking water (tap through the pur water filter) and at first I saw a reduction in ammonia but the second time it was the same as the tap.

oh and nvm the question on seachem, I found out it's only 2 drops per gal.
johnnymillenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #13 
waterdog

Water, as basic as it seems, is always a problem depending on the source. Here in my city they add so much to the water, especially flouride, along with a ph of 8.5.
I got frustrated years ago with my big tanks and invested in an ro unit. OMG what a difference. I'll never keep fish without one again.

Now I know an RO unit isn't an option for most people that keep only bettas, but a lot of LFS sell RO water.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #14 
Kels

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
a lot of LFS sell RO water.
WELL THERE YOU HAVE IT! I'm gonna have to start buying my water! LOL

URGH this is killing me because i'm still in the middle of a cycle.

johnnymillenium- I feel you pain. Well, i guess our fishys are the ones feeling it! :(sorry guys.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

To keep ammonia detoxified, if you don't want to buy water, just add enough Seachem to treat the entire tank (0.25 mls - using a 1ml syring to measure is wonderful) every two days, even if you aren't doing a water change. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #16 
Kels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
To keep ammonia detoxified, if you don't want to buy water, just add enough Seachem to treat the entire tank (0.25 mls - using a 1ml syring to measure is wonderful) every two days, even if you aren't doing a water change. :)

THANK YOU! and will this keep my ammonia in check till my tank cycles? and this wont affect my cycle, adding prime every 2day? (that last one seems like a dumb ? lol)

i have a 10G cant i just use the 2 drops for every gallon every 2 days?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

What Prime does is conver the ammonia to its non-toxic form, ammonium. It only does it for 48 hours, though, which is why you need to dose the whole tank every two days (so 1ml will detoxify your entire tank every two days...I have a big bottle as it is more cost effective, which doesn't come with a dropper, so I've no idea about drops :p ). Ammonium won't hurt fish, but the beneficial bacteria can still feed off it. :)

This conversion occurs naturally in tanks with really soft water and a low pH, like mine, but mine have still cycled well. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

As Bombalurina says, Prime converts ammonia to ammonium for 24 to 48 hours. The amount of time is pH dependent. Higher pH converts the ammonium back faster.

I'm surprised your pH is as high as that in San Diego. I know the GH and KH (hardness and mineral measurements) are quite high because of the Colorado River source. But 8.5 pH....?

I've always felt: if I can drink it, a fish can live in it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #19 
johnnymillenium

oh damn, that's really great to know about the seachem every two days, I'd better start doing that. I was changing it every three days cos the ammonia just keeps coming back !!

My ph is rather high as well, i think 7.8.

It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one in this boat ^_^' I was feeling pretty ****ty not knowing what to do or how to fix it. especially since im going on a little camping trip soon and have to give instructions to his babysitter on how to care for him, how my moms going to hate me for giving her such a task. you guys are god sends though.
johnnymillenium is offline   Reply With Quote