Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Pick a Preset Heater
1. Marina Betta 8W 4 30.77%
2. Marina C-10, 10W 5 38.46%
3. Aqueon 10W 5 38.46%
4. Hydor 15W 2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #11 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso84 View Post
Well, I don't know about the other heaters, but I have 2 of the Aqueon ones... One in a 2.5 gal, & the other in a 1.75 gal bowl.... They are in relatively the same place in my house, (no cold or warm spots, no windows close by, same distance from heat/ac vents) & yet the temps in the tanks are VERY different.... In my 2.5, it's around 77*-79* F (I cover the tank in a towel at night, b/c I leave a couple lights on at night {I don't live on the safest of streets, is why the lights}) Yet, for my 1.75 gal, the temp goes from 86*-82* F if I cover his bowl at night, and if I don't, it goes from 80*-84* F it's kinda crazy (I am going to be moving him from his bowl, to a 7.9 gal, so the this is temporary-& always has been for the 2 wks I've had him) but the zoo-med betta bowl heater pad I had before this (which lasted a week, b4 poisoning the water) held a very steady temp 79*-80* F... Before it went in the trashcan
Zoo med poisons the water?! I currently have that >.<
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #12 
Aurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
The first 3 are BAD. Tried them all, they overheated my 5 GALLON, tank. haven't tried the last one... First one fluctuated WAAAAAAAAY too much.

I personally recommend this one from walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10291808?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

it's for 2-15gallons, it's a 50w pre-set heater and keeps my tanks at a perfect 78*F, it never fluctuates and I have it in 3 different tanks. Also has a 2 year warranty.

3gal
5gal
and another 5gal

Works great!

I use this one in my 10 gallon and also my 5 gallon.. It keeps everything very very solid! Walmart is the cheapest place to get this hands down!

They seem to be hit or miss but if you're looking for a heater and you're at walmart this is a good alternative till you can save up for a good adjustable heater.

I used to have the zoo med one that lies flat, it was round not oval. I had it under the sand/gravel of my 2.5 and later my 5. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get it to sit down without massive amts of substrate over it and it only worked half the time. 5 degrees above room temp? I have my 5 gallon in my kitchen. The warmest room in our house (taking cooking into consideration) and even on Thanksgiving day with the oven on NON stop and the range burning... it was at 68. Petco (the place I got mine) has since stopped carrying it

Heres a picture of it.. it's horrible. Never buy it. It DOES work, but not well enough for a betta. Maybe a frog or something. Now that I look it up, it says for 1-3 gallons with might work, but it didn't work in my 2.5 at all (Acrylic Mini Bow). They used to advertise it for 5 gallons. You want to go higher on heaters than needed. Like filtration. With adjustable heaters you can always tone down the heater and it won't have to work often, but it'll be an eyesore in your tank.

Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #13 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
I use this one in my 10 gallon and also my 5 gallon.. It keeps everything very very solid! Walmart is the cheapest place to get this hands down!

They seem to be hit or miss but if you're looking for a heater and you're at walmart this is a good alternative till you can save up for a good adjustable heater.

I used to have the zoo med one that lies flat, it was round not oval. I had it under the sand/gravel of my 2.5 and later my 5. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get it to sit down without massive amts of substrate over it and it only worked half the time. 5 degrees above room temp? I have my 5 gallon in my kitchen. The warmest room in our house (taking cooking into consideration) and even on Thanksgiving day with the oven on NON stop and the range burning... it was at 68. Petco (the place I got mine) has since stopped carrying it

Heres a picture of it.. it's horrible. Never buy it. It DOES work, but not well enough for a betta. Maybe a frog or something. Now that I look it up, it says for 1-3 gallons with might work, but it didn't work in my 2.5 at all (Acrylic Mini Bow). They used to advertise it for 5 gallons. You want to go higher on heaters than needed. Like filtration. With adjustable heaters you can always tone down the heater and it won't have to work often, but it'll be an eyesore in your tank.

What a pity. This happens to be the one I have! I've had it going for a week now and it's been going up to 84 degrees and stopping there. I'm trying to find ways to get it lower such as getting a lid with a lot of holes in it like some sort of netting. You guys seem to have very bad experiences with these so I'm anxious that it might fry soon or "poison?" My water as someone stated above.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #14 
Aurie

Honestly, I'd go with a 50 watt adjustable for anything lower than 10 gallons. I have to be honest, I got a good preset heater, but I"m saving up for a mini hydor for my 5.5 and my 10 gallon is soon updated to a 20 so I'm going to keep my adjustable for a spare. I have 2 heaters in my 46. I might just run 1 of those and move the other to my new 20 and put the preset in the 46 near the outflow.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #15 
kyle89

Most pre set heaters are only afew dollars cheaper than a good adjustable heater. Number 1 and 3 are just around 15 dollars at my lfs. I actually picked up a nice adjustable heater at that fish place for 18 dollars with my rewards card
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #16 
Picasso84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseBetta View Post
Zoo med poisons the water?! I currently have that >.<
Yes, it lasted maybe a week, then the water reeked of burnt rubber/copper pennies (wierd combo, I know) even with my 3 50% wc I had done up to that point (over 6 days) (I promptly did a 100% and threw that heater, *and my gravel* out b/c it stunk too, & didn't wanna risk it) and I had started noticing something was wrong, b/c the previous day (and a little bit the day before that) my betta had started getting lethargic, and just sat on the bottom, having some trouble breathing (well, starting to) and his fins were beginning to rot....

All of which completely cleared up w/in 36hrs (or less) of cleaning his bowl, and plants/decor & adding new rocks, & the Aqueon heater & (obviously) having pristine water helped

Oh, and there was this weird film on top of the water (kinda like what gasoline looks like floating around in water)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #17 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso84 View Post
Yes, it lasted maybe a week, then the water reeked of burnt rubber/copper pennies (wierd combo, I know) even with my 3 50% wc I had done up to that point (over 6 days) (I promptly did a 100% and threw that heater, *and my gravel* out b/c it stunk too, & didn't wanna risk it) and I had started noticing something was wrong, b/c the previous day (and a little bit the day before that) my betta had started getting lethargic, and just sat on the bottom, having some trouble breathing (well, starting to) and his fins were beginning to rot....

All of which completely cleared up w/in 36hrs (or less) of cleaning his bowl, and plants/decor & adding new rocks, & the Aqueon heater & (obviously) having pristine water helped

Oh, and there was this weird film on top of the water (kinda like what gasoline looks like floating around in water)
Thanks looks like I need to get a 25watt adjustable
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #18 
LoriKeet

I can personally attest that the Marina C-10 is a piece of crap (excuse my french). I bought one and followed the directions to the T; the thing never heated up past 75-76 degrees and I had to use a space heater in my room to keep the tank toasty till my 5 gallon tank and new heater arrived in the mail.

Although my experience with mini heaters hasn't been the best, I am head over heals in love with my Aqueon Pro Submersible Aquarium Heater - 50 watt; it's a real gem if you have at least a five gallon. <3

Last edited by LoriKeet; 03-10-2013 at 12:28 AM.
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #19 
ANHEL123

Good ones that a lot of people recommending for 1 and up gall are
Penn Plax Cascade
Hagen Elite Mini Submersible
Hydor Theo
Marineland Visitherm

Most of, if not all of these heaters have to be ordered online or found in a local fish shop. Petsmart and Petco generally don't carry them. Good places to order are www.amazon.com and www.drsfostersmith.com
I have Cascad,Petco , Visi-THERM in my tanks and i like them. Temperature in my tanks about 76* stable. You can keep betta in 76* it pretty good temperature for bettas.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #20 
kyle89

I have a 25 watt hyrdo adjustable heater in my tank and couldn't be happier. Small in size an keeping the temp at 80. Paid 18 at my lfs. I had one like the zoo med that said it would do 5 gallons an couldnt keep the temp at 74
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote