Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #1 
DragonFyre14

Regrowing fins....

So, I suspect my betta Raphael may be a tail biter... His fins are looking frayed and a bit like he's been chewing on it. I haven't actually see him biting or anything. I've checked and unless he's getting caught on the bubbler, tere isn't anything for his tail to get caught on. (The only other decor in the tank is a plant with large broad leaves and a betta hammock. It doesn't appear as if either of them could tear the tips off his tail)

Anyway as far as regrowing his tail goes, I've been having trouble getting it to regrow. I have been keeping his water clean and just finished a week with AQ salt in. Every time I do a water change I dose the tank with stress coat as well. I believe he is well fed (I'm not sure if a lack of food could cause his tail to be slow to regrow or possibly cause him to bite his tail...). I feed him omega one betta buffet pellets. Usually I give him about 8 pellets a day (unless he seems to loose interest before) does this seem like too much or too little?

Any tips would be much appreciated.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #2 
Polkadot

I have a similar situation with my funny little boy Button (aka Rowdy boy).I also haven't actually seen him do it but I think he might occasionally 'trim' his tail too.He is a little boy and his tail & fins are very full and plumey,one morning I looked at his tail and it was trimmed back so perfectly (it was unbelievable really) and he seemed way happier zooming around like he wasn't weighed down so much.I also think though that he must sometimes get caught on the filter as his tail has been a bit ragged a couple of times,but I've since put one of the leaves of a silk plant over most of the part where the water goes through which has worked well.I also add a little extra stress coat whenever his tail is a bit ragged and keep the water extra clean and his tail/fins come back really well after a couple of weeks.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #3 
DragonFyre14

Yeah, I've been keeping his water clean and adding extra stress coat and it's been almost a month since I've started trying to get him to regrow his fins. His fins haven't gotten any worse but they don't seem to be getting better either.... Am I doing something wrong? or is he just determined to keep his tail at its current length?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #4 
Polkadot

It sounds like you are doing everything right,sometimes it takes longer for their tail/fins to re grow fully.Each is different.And yes it could also be like you said,that he is keeping his tail shorter on purpose himself.I have noticed that with Button,he seems to prefer his tail shorter too and I think he trims it whenever it feels a bit heavy for him.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #5 
DragonFyre14

Thanks :) I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I think Raphael looks much better when his tail was longer, but mostly because then it was nice and even. otherwise I don't mind his tail being shorter.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #6 
Polkadot

That's ok,it seems we are in the same boat. I think the same when I look at photos of Button with his full plumey tail,it looks so beautiful on him (not that he isn't beautiful now of course),but as long as he is happy & healthy I'm happy too.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #7 
Fishy Mom

Do you have a strong filter? Is his tank in a spot with little distraction or interaction with people?

As for regrowing his fins you are doing exactly what I do. My boy's fins still haven't grown out completely & it's been 9 months, but they are definitely better than when I bought him.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #8 
DragonFyre14

Nope. No strung filter. In fact all I have is a little bubbler. His tank is in my bedroom, which means during the day it is mostly dark and quiet and at night I come in and he sees me. So not many distractions or interaction with people. However, his tank is up against my guppy fry tank and I have seen him following them and once he flared. Could that be stressing him out?

Yeah, when I got him his fins were near perfect. The pet store took really good care of him.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Add tannins, like ial.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #10 
DragonFyre14

I don't have any IAL nor will I be able to order any. Is there any other way I could get tannins to add to my tank? I do have a 29 gallon whose water is majorly stained with tannins. Would it be safe to add some water from that tank? Or would it actually be effective?